Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

To quench or not to quench?

Can anybody advise me as to whether it is safe to quench yellow brass wire after annealing.
Thank you in advance for your advice
Willie

I have been working with jeweler’s brass (I think that it is 80/20) and treat it just like silver. You do get more of a copper look to the surface if you get it too hot. This is, I think, a result of the zinc burning off. There is discussion of this in the archives by Peter Rowe. I find jewelers brass to be a lot of fun to work with. You can do a lot of experimenting for a small amount of money. I have also cast it. You can see some of these pieces on my website.

www.robmeixner.com.

Have fun and stay safe…Rob

Thanks for that Rob - if I can manage to get into the archives I will check it out.
I have found that finding the archives is somewhat of an arcane exercise!

I am wanting to anneal 2mm yellow brass wire - my worry was that I have read one should not cold quench brass after annealing as it can crack.

Stay safe.

Rosemary

My only experience is with jeweler’s brass (80/20). As I understand it, different alloys behave differently. All I can suggest is to look from an alloy specific point of view. Regardling the archives, there is a lot there to look at and it is a bit difficult to find. God luck…Rob