Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Studio insurance advice

Dear Orchidians, My studio insurance premiums have risen by 70% in
last year and I am looking for a new provider. I am a
studio-goldsmith with a non-retail, “no- frills” shop outside my
home. I have a crafters policy which was $350 annuallly last year
and it has gone up to over $500 annually this year . Seems this has
happened a lot over the years. I find a good policy and the premiums
start sneaking up in cost over the months and years. Does anyone
know of any GOOD policies/ providers that are at lower rates or
care to share your advice regarding insurance. I realize that $500
may not be a bad rate but I would like to get it lower it if
possible. I already asked my provider to increase my deductible and
the rate is as low as they will go.

I don’t mean to rant. I appreciate what having a good policy means
but…to those inevitables Death and Taxes we should add
INSURANCE. Right? Argh! Bruce Raper In Atlanta, where everyone has
started to hibernate in the air conditioning.

Hi Bruce,

I have a studio situation at home much like yours. I was able to
get an addition to my regular home owner’s insurance that covers my
studio. I believe that they call it a home enterprise rider. The
additional cost to my insurance premium was very modest. I would
check with the agents for your home owner’s policy to see what they
can do for you and your studio coverage.

David Luck
627 Center Street
Iowa City, IA 52245-3008


Try Arbella Insurance. We use them at Metalwerx, but also use them
for our home and car. Arbella covers small commercial companies like
mine. The other is to shop for an insurance agent. Yes it does cost
a little more, but it is so much easier than dealing with menu
options on the phone.


Karen Christians
50 Guinan St.
Waltham, MA 02451
Ph. 781/891-3854 Fax 3857
Jewelry/Metalarts School & Cooperative Studio