Special considerations when setting ultra-thin cabs?

I’ve acquired several stones (mostly rose-cut with flat backs) that are very, very thin. Like so thin that there’s barely an edge on them. For more conventionally shaped cabs I’m very comfortable with making settings/bezels from gallery wire, bezel strip, and thicker sheet. When I go to use these super thin stones, is there anything special I need to be aware of or do differently? Or am I just making a super shallow bezel same as I would for anything else? It seems like it should be the same, but this is one of those things where I don’t know if there’s something I don’t know.

Other than to be very careful, you might consider backing them with another type of lapidary material. This is how a very thin, but nice, piece of opal is mounted after it is formed into a doublet. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

Hmmm. Come to think of it, that would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to make a 1.5mm deep bezel! Even just putting an extra bit of sheet in behind it. That’ll work!

1 Like

If the stone is opaque, you can back it in a number of ways. We also recently had the discussion of how to back a transparent stone. You do have the issue of how you stamp the piece…Rob

You can do a double gallery bezel, where the stone basically sits on a ledge inside the bezel if you want a higher bezel

2 Likes