[Source] Manual mini lathe

Hi. I am trying to locate a manual mini-lathe as shown in Carles
Codina’s book "The Complete Book of Jewelry Making on page 118. I do
not want the powered variety, but am looking for the hand-held as
shown. Would anyone know of a supplier for this article.

Thanks Bea

Have you figured this one out yet? I’m trying to figure this out as well. Carles Codina is Spanish, and a lot of the jewelry-making terms he uses in his book seem like they’ve been translated directly to English. The problem is, the terms in Spanish that he uses were translated directly to English, but it’s not the correct name for some of the tools. If you ask a metalsmith about water torches, they’re going to look at you funny. If you ask them about oxy-hydrogen torches, however, they know what you’re talking about. So from what I’ve gathered, the thing he calls a mini manual lathe isn’t called a ‘mini manual lathe’ in English. It has a different name altogether, and I can’t find out what it’s called in English to be able to look them up to buy one. It’s all about keywords and knowing the specific names for everything. You can find anything you want on the internet if you know its specific name. And I don’t know what this tool is actually called in English. Some kind of wax tube ring shaping cutting tool reamer… thingie. Let me know if you figure this one out, I’m stumped as well. It seems like a very basic tool that most goldsmiths would be familiar with… but what do they call it in English?!?!

Is it someelike this?

http://www.dumatt.com/tools/mattmini-lathe.html

3 Likes

YES!!! That’s it! The name brand is Matt Mini Lathe?? Omg you have no idea how many times and how many ways I’ve tried googling ‘mini lathe’ and that NEVER came up!!! This has been driving me nuts, it’s how I ran across this thread because I finally did a search for Carles Codina to see if anyone else had the same question. THANK YOU!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

2 Likes