Source for short twist drills 3/32

I use these from Rio and love them

1 Like

hi Lori,
…now i gotta go loupe my regular steel Busch twist drills snd see if they are standard or split drills!:joy:

they sure do like to wander…

julie

Hi!

ok, interesting and informative!!

here are my findings after diving into my stash and examining all my different brands of twist drills…

(please note, i did not know about split point versus standard point when i bought these drill packs…so I probably went by lower price rather than drill type or country of origin…) i thin when ordering i looked for HSS twist drill…

of the drills that i have:

Densply Maillefer (steel?) swiss made- all split point

Meisinger (steel?) made in Germany- all standard point

Busch…(steel?) made in Germany)- all standard points

Gems (steel?) swiss made- all split points

A&A (steel?) swiss made- all split points

Rio brand straight shank HSS steel made in China- all standard points

i don’t have any lynx brand…

brand point consistent thru various sizes…i checked .5mm’s up to 2.3mm’s…

there are big differences in price…

split versus standard point not always mentioned in online descriptions

the only possible “tell” is…”swiss made”…?..not conclusive i bet…

Julie

2 Likes

if i get adventurous, i might try adding the facets, as show in the video vera posted​:hugs::joy::flushed:

2 Likes

Check out the other videos on the Diamond Mounter channel. Some interesting stuff there. https://www.youtube.com/c/DiamondMounter/videos

So I use 1.5mm and smaller. Rivets, starter holes for stone setting, etc. I use them in my flex shaft or my Praxxon rotary tool stand (so it works like a mini drill press). But I’ve injured myself on that though too - and I’d have a piece of a bit lodged in my eye had it not been for safety glasses. 🥸

So according to what I’m seeing: is what McMaster Carr is calling “parabolic” is what everyone here is calling a “twist?”

I thought a twist was the 3/32 shank with the 1mm (or whatever) bit. I’ve had crap luck with those. Not sure the correct nomenclature fir that but design.

I’m still in the dark.

I tried to figure all this out with a machinist in my building, but, he’s got his own lingo. He basically got frustrated and handed me the latest M-C catalog. (He’s very old-school).

My question is: can anyone please post an example product listing for the best type of drill bit for our industry? Getting older - I need reliable, quality tools b/c cheaping-out jeopardizes my safety!

actually

based on the M-C link picture, i think my Gems swiss made are four four facet…

i did notice that some had very thin facets, that were different from the other “split” point drills!

i keep on learning!

Need diamond to properly sharpen carbide. Normal stones won’t touch it IF it’s genuine carbide. Small drills sharpened by hand without a jig for same will usually wander however in thin nonferrous metals & not trying to run a straight hole it will be negligible .
My credentials? 35 yrs. of using drills by hand & In machinery. Knowledge is power😄

1 Like

I made this box & engraved the top hammer & chisel.

5 Likes

that box and your work is A-Ma-Zing!

1 Like