Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Soldering near magnetic clasps


#1

Are there any problems possible when soldering jump rings to attach
magnetic clasps. I am concerned about losing the magnetism of the
clasps.

Ernie


#2

Any temperature over about 150f. will trash the magnetism in those
clasps - treat them like you would a pearl, as far as heat…


#3
Are there any problems possible when soldering jump rings to attach
magnetic clasps. I am concerned about losing the magnetism of the
clasps. 

Yes, high heat from a torch will degauss the clasp’s magnets. For
the most part, the machine-made designs that employ magnetic clasps
press the magnet in place after any soldering or tack welding takes
place.

If there’s anyone in your area who does laser welding to the trade,
you may want to have them weld your jump rings.

James S. Duncan, G.G.
James in SoFL


#4

Ernie, I tried soldering near a magnetic clasp and foolishly did not
protect it with a heat shield. It did lose it’s magnetism (In more
ways then one!) :-).

Lisa


#5

Ernie, and well you should be concerned. One of my students recently
tried it and fried the magnet. It had no magnetism at all after an
application of heat. Of course, I expect it matters what kind of
magnet it is…hers was a rare earth magnet.

Cheers from Don at The Charles Belle Studio in SOFL where simple
elegance IS fine jewelry! @coralnut2


#6

If you heat a magnetic clasp and demagnetize it, can you draw it
across a magnet and re-magnetize it? Some of my tools are held on a
magnetic strip and the pliers become magnetic.


#7

Richard

If you heat a magnetic clasp and demagnetize it, can you draw it
across a magnet and re-magnetize it? Some of my tools are held on
a magnetic strip and the pliers become magnetic. 

Sorry bud, different materials. Rare Earth Magnets are not the usual
iron composites, as a matter of fact they are not iron at all. They
will not remagnetize by passing them over a magnet.

Here is a site on them. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp One
of the points they make are that the magnet if heated will loose its
magnetic quality, if you cause it to catch fire by burning off the
coating, they are toxic.

Terry