Setting near-translucent cabs

An old Orchid contribution suggests using mylar under your translucent stone. This works with flat backed stones like cabs and most rose-cuts. I’ve been doing this for some years and have had no issues. The mylar is easy to cut to fit the depression and stays shiny. Of course heat melts it, so place the mylar after all soldering, buffing, etc. and just before setting the stone.

Judy in Kansas, where that cold Canadian air is upon us. Brrr.

I wouldn’t put any sort of plastic in a piece of metal jewelry. Even just boiling it in soap and water (for standard at-home cleaning) would distort the mylar, no? And repairs would of course be impossible without removing the stone and the mylar.

1 Like

I’m going with a clear coat of something not water soluble. I have some clear alcohol ink. Though I was just thinking that a rubbery adhesive like e6000 might be better, since it has some give which would perhaps provide a bit of extra protection against bumps.

Sue, your post made me think of clear nail polish. Not sure if nail polish goes yellow over time like glues… I didn’t put anything on the metal when I set mine. It’s been about three years and still looks good.

1 Like