Sealing brass (bronze and copper for that matter)

The Nikolas lacquer is what Carol Webb recommended in the workshop of hers that I attended a couple of years ago. At the time, you could get it from AllCraft.

Hi Trish,
I found a 12 oz. can of Nikolas Spray Lacquer for $14.97 at www.votawtools.com. I haven’t used the spray but other students in my class love how it protected the patina on copper and brass. It dried to a matte finish and wasn’t very apparent on the pieces that had been sprayed.
Dianne

These manufacturers are both in the UK, but they probably will ship to you:

http://www.fhlambert.com/processes/clear_coat.htm#.WUzvbYpLf9B

The first one does electrophoretic lacquering, a word I forgot: this is depositing lacquer like plating. It never comes off.
Given the sheer size of the Mexican jewellery industry I would be very surprised if you can’t find similar Mexican
products. Here’s a hint: use Google Translate and that should solve a lot of your problems.

Thanks, Bill. Google translate does help, but neither the electronic translators/dictionaries nor the printed dictionaries are jargon specific enough to help. It’s pretty frustrating. My Spanish isn’t bad, but the jargon wipes me out.
Dick
Ah Mexico! Where “C” on a faucet means HOT, and “M” on a restroom means THE LADIES ROOM.

The Nikolas spray lacquer is used by music technicians to patch brass instruments with wear spots. It is a good product that will color match the gold color of the original brass finish. However, it is not as long lasting as the original epoxy lacquer applied to most modern trumpets. It is probably as durable as the old nitrocellulose lacquers used in the 40’s and earlier, but modern finishes are much better. The epoxy lacquers require a spray booth and must be heat cured in a special chamber when used on instruments. This might be easier to do with jewelry pieces, as all that is required is a certain temperature for a set amount of time. To do trumpets, etc., one has to convert an old refrigerator with heat lamps, but something smaller would work for jewelry. Instead of a spray booth, there may be spray cans one can use.

Not trying to discourage anyone from using the Nikolas products, just saying that they do wear with repeated contact with persperation and body oils, etc., and there are more long lasting finishes.
HTH,
royjohn

I’m definitely going to check out some other suggestions here- thanks all.

You do actually bake the Protectaclear at a low temp (170F) to finish it. I also used to get brass e-coated. Commercial platers provide the service. It works great, but I can’t find anyone to do it anymore (including Tanury, mentioned above) unless it is over their metal plating. No one is wiling to do it any longer it seems, if that’s the only coat you want on a base metal.

Rio sells a kit for "do it yourself " e coating -

I switched from E coating to powder coating. Easier, faster, better, cheaper. You can find all kinds of utube videos to teach you powder coating.

That is so helpful. I was just on the verge of going to powder coating without spending the money for e-coating.
Dick
Ah Mexico! Where “C” on a faucet means HOT, and “M” on a restroom means THE LADIES ROOM.

I’ve just heard of Cerakote from Prismatic Colors. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Dick