Saw Frame Recommendation

Hi Lawrence, I think you have hit on it…the saw isn’t the big thing…it’s learning all the little skill tweaks that make using the saw a successful and enjoyable endeavor. I think pretty much everybody starts off saying they hate to saw, then they learn how to do it well and it becomes a favorite thing.

Anyway, here is a YouTube channel…the Diamond Mounter…that has a good sawing tutorial. Actually, there are a lot of good tutorials here. A few for basics and a bunch more for more advanced projects.

1 Like

And while I’m thinking of it, I will share my favorite sawing tip. If your blade is not tight, it’s impossible to saw a straight line. So, you tighten the blade, saw for a bit, and you can’t saw straight. What happened? Probably you had a death grip on the handle and pressed forward while gritting your teeth and all this effort made the blade stretch. And now the blade is not tight and you can’t saw a straight line. (Of course, I don’t mean “you” personally…most everybody does this in the beginning.)
Vera

2 Likes

Not impressed with sawing on an even surface, bit nice video.

Thanks

I’ll never be a master with the blade as James is but I do love sawing/piercing.

Best pieces of helpful advice I had early on:
The standard “keep your blade tight “
Use a light grip and keep the blade vertical to the surface (usually).
Don’t watch your blade; focus on where it’s going.
After you have put in 40 hours sawing and piercing you’ll be able to really enjoy this. (this period to be followed by on-going practice, practice, practice)
Maximizing the ergonomics - bench pin and chair height to minimize negative body effects of bending, twisting and straining muscles.

I still have my old German style saw frame but got my KC frame soon after they were introduced and I do prefer it.

1 Like

I have two KC saws and a couple of European ones. I find myself using one of the European saws most of the time. I’ve been looking at the Green Lion, and the folks at the sawing group on Facebook recommend it highly. I will probably get one. The first time I used a saw in my first jewelry class, after about ten minutes I looked at it and said, “Where were you all my life?” It was the most natural thing I’ve ever done.

I received my KC saw yesterday and will give it a try today. I also have my eyes on the Green Lion saw, actually did before Jame recommended the KC frame. It gets good reviews and is nice looking. Stay tuned…Rob

1 Like

I bought one of the original Knew Concepts saw frames and it has been such a disappointment that I don’t want to sink more money into the updated model. It will not hold a blade in place.

If you are having problems with your Knew Concepts saw frame not holding a blade, take the blade and screws out of the frame and clean it. Little bits of the ends of blades can jam up the channel which should hold the blade. Clean out all that junk which builds up without you realizing it and your frame will hold a blade securely.

I purchased a Knew Concept a number of years ago and always struggled with keeping the blade locked into the top toggle. Often the tip of the saw blade is crimped, most times it barely gets ‘caught’ to hold. Tightening, loosening, trying to figure out the ‘trick’ was/is so frustrating. I finally purchased a Green Lion and love it. easy to use, light, the curve of the frame allows extra length while still maneuverable. I do want to figure out the KC though, the concept is indeed easy, it’s me figuring out what is not working.

2 Likes

The Knew Concepts saw frame can be a little fiddly / has a slight learning curve until you figure it out. You can find help on their website. The reasons for it are due to the toggle / repeatable tension setting, and how the frame can be adjusted for various blade thicknesses.

…always struggled with keeping the blade locked into the top toggle.

How do you go about inserting and tightening the blade? I’ve seen people have trouble with the bottom screw, not at the top.

What I do it tighten the blade in the top. Never had a problem there. Then I have the blade, on the outside of the frame, go a little past the set screw opposite the tightening screw. This way I know the length is set deeply enough to be well clamped. Then I put the blade end into the hole, and the blade will have a bit of a bow to it’. That shows it is a bit long in the frame. I have the toggle flipped back (tight). At this point I tighten the blade with the top knurled nut. Once done, every time I loosen the toggle and free the blade from the lower end by the handle, I can insert the blade in a new drilled hole, flip the toggle back, and the tension is just the way I want it for repeated piercings.

If you insert the blade at the bottom first, just make sure the blade end goes past the top set screw before you insert it in the hole and tighten the screw.

The toggle is the great advantage of the KC design. If you mostly saw but not pierce, then one saw frame is as good as another. If you do a lot of piercing no other frame beats the KC’s quick, repeatable resetting of blade tension.

Often the tip of the saw blade is crimped…

Opposite the tightening screw there is a set screw. The set screw is set at the factory for thick blades. Use a hex wrench / Allen key to turn it in deeper for thinner blades.

Hope this helps.

Neil A

Thanks for you suggestion, Karen. I did do that, following the instructions posted by Knew Concepts and using canned air to blast any broken blades out. It didn’t help.

Easiest way to get help is first to try the suggestions on the Knew Concepts website and it that doesn’t work, contact the owner, Brian Meek and he will personally assist you. He has helped me.

1 Like

Its always nice to hear that the more costly will not make your work better. Build your skills. Being popular is not always the best. I think we all have a cheap ol german saw in our repertoire. Saw on my friends.

A lot of black handles too!!!

Gregory really likes The Green Lion Saw he has.

What a joy to hear from you James and to know you are still out there with advice. I loved your collection of saws!
Your recommendation of the Vallorbe blades is so valuable too - your work is only as good as a good sharp blade.
I have been an admirer of your fabulous creations for a long time now and so am taking this opportunity to tell you how much in awe of your work I am.
My husband bought me your book just recently too!
He also bought me the Knew Concepts saws in all three sizes.
Once you get the hang of installing the blade they are a dream to use.
I learnt to use a fret saw when really young - around eight years old, sawing plywood animals for a Noah’s Arc my mother commissioned me to make!
Transitioning to piercing metal at jewellery classes was a doddle.
I know you have retired now, but I wonder do you ever get back into your studio?
Stay safe and can I wish you early Christmas Best Wishes.
Cheers Rosemary. AKA Willie

Hello Rosemary, Thank you for your nice comments and I hope you like my book. Yes I have now been retired for 9 years from trade work although I do still make items for family and fun, it’s hard to completely give up creating although the price of gold has now killed off my part of the trade. Now my daughter wants me to teach her how to create her own jewellery.
May I also wish you early best Christmas wishes.
Cheers James

I bought both a KC 4 and a Green Lion saw frame. They both work well. Thanks to all who provided input in response to my original post…Rob

For my soon to arrive 70th Birthday my sob Greg gave me a Green Lion saw frame as a gift. I have used it and see no reason to go back to the old German and Swiss frames I have been using. I am going to have to do a study on why this is ergonomically superior to the other frames I have. It is so basic a tool it wonders me how its simplicity is so effective in its function.

Of course it means now I have to try a Knew Concepts saw frame as well. A clever scheme to sell tools to a group of people who need no excuse to buy tools is my suspicion.

Don

3 Likes

Hi Don,
Ever since I got my first KC saw, I noticed an incredible difference in the ease of use and precision of cuts from the minute I used it. That lead to the purchase of the 5” throat with
the rotating blade. The light weight helps with control and eases stress on arthritic hands.
I love my saws!
Denny Diamond

den