QLD, Australia 3072

Kind regards
Peter
Spain

1 Like

What are 3M discs

1 Like

Hi Mayci,

I believe theyā€™re referring to the 3M Radial Bristle discs. Contenti has a nice breakdown of the various gritsā€¦ 3M Radial Bristle Discs | Contenti

The discs used with the flex shaft allow you to get into tight spaces and the larger wheels make quick work of cleaning, polishing or texturing.

Theyā€™re available from most suppliers. Rio also carries a Dedeco disc.

If youā€™re going to use them to clean up files be sure to keep a separate set for steel.

Pam

1 Like

One thing i use on my files (and vintage 75+ yo gorbet files) is a set of steel wire brushes. Fine brass brushes are good too if the files are really fine grooved. Follow the direction of the grooves I also use a tiny bit of ospho (phosphoric acid) to stop the rust periodically. It converts rust to a oxide black coating. Then more wire brush and a light oil. Store them on a slightly oily rag in a separate plastic sealed Tupperware type container with a additional towel on top. This goes into a closed cabinet door. Iā€™m surrounded by ocean on three sides within a couple of blocks. Rust is a daily prevention strategy. Keeping things always covered when not directly being used is HUGE.

Eileen

2 Likes

I had kept a set of wire wheels used on my foredom to clean my files. The set I kept was for that purpose only. Had others Iā€™ve used for other purposes.
Aaron

2 Likes

Thank you . I appreciate the information. Andā€¦ especially for reminding me to keep a separate set for steelā€¦
May Bingham

2 Likes

Not a problem at all, I was self taught as a bench jeweler, and watchmaker. Plus having my bench located within a pawnshop, those wire wheels were a common sight. Still got most of them. Anyways my friend, have a blessed day.
Aaron

1 Like

Hello,
About the wire wheels you mentionā€¦ are they safe to use to clean my jewelry files (they get clogged up).
The wheels that were recommended by another Ganoksin person, were made out of rubber or soft plastic. The kind that you have to load up three or four of the little wheels.
I just received your email tonightā€¦ first time I hear from you.
Kindly advise,
May Bingham

1 Like

Any suggestions on an oil other than 3 in 1, as I have a contact allergy.
Thanks, Deb

1 Like

Mayci- I would not use these https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Scotch-Brite-Radial-Bristle-Disc/?N=5002385+3293241199&rt=rud
They have abrasives in them that might dull your file teeth.
Stick to a brash brush or one of these File Cleaner Brush
Jo

1 Like

Jo, Thank you for the message. I intend to use the brass brush or the file cleaner only.
The file cleaner shown looks great.
Be safe,
May

1 Like

It is an abrasive powder something like ā€œbathroom cleaners, sink cleanersā€ Except that it does not contain any bleach. Safe to use around the studio to scrub metals clean

1 Like

Safe to use around the studio to scrub metals clean

Yes. But it is good to know the details.

Not that it was suggested by anyone, but do not use it on gold or silver. It says sterling is o.k. ???

I use it on stainless steel, which is why it is called Barkeeperā€™s Friend.

Neil A

1 Like

I use BarKeepers Friend and Zud all the time to clean silver when Iā€™m going to enamel it or apply an etching resist. Also good prior to liver of sulphur. Any ā€œdamageā€ to the silver will not be a problem on the piece after polishing or any other final surface. Iā€™m sure they mean donā€™t use it on silver flatware. Just like any other abrasive cleaner.

Iā€™m sure they mean donā€™t use it on silver flatware. Just like any other abrasive cleaner.

That makes sense, but Iā€™m still puzzled about why they say it is O.K. for sterling.

Neil A

That is definitely weird that Sterling is okā€¦they make an obvious point of saying that. Possibly they are thinking silver-plated flatware would not be ok, but ok on Sterling flatware. I still wouldnā€™t use it on any kind of flatware.