I would really like to thank everyone who offered their advice and
support. I could not have done it without you! All I needed was
more heat, more solder, and more confidence.
I made one more stab at soldering it with the diamond immersed in
water, but it still wasn’t working very well. So I took a deeeep
breath, gave the stone a very healthy coat of boric acid, set it on
my charcoal block, heated it up slowly and soldered away. The tense
moment was waiting for it to cool, then waiting for it to come out
of the pickle, but everything is fine, nothing happened to the
stone, and I learned a lot.
As I said, I don’t do repairs of this sort. I make jewelry and then
set the stones, and I do a lot of repairs with cold connections and
restringing. So this has really added to my skill-set. And I have
my wedding ring back!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! ~kara