Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Removing Mercury


#1

Andy,

Save yourself the time and trouble of re-setting. An alternative
method to heating the jewelry is to apply Nitric Acid. In many of
the gold teat sets the 10K acid is nitric acid. Apply a small amount
of nitric acid to the affected area, and then rinse off with water.
If you get any acid on the opals rinse off right away and dry the
jewelry then start again. The process may need to be repeated to
remove all the mercury. When finished re-polish the jewelry.

NOTE: The Fumes From The Mercury Is Extremely Toxic. Make certain
your work area is well ventilated! I would also wear a mask, and
wear rubber gloves as the nitric acid can stain your skin yellow.

Brad Simon