I lost a friend as a result of attempting to reclaim gold with
Randy had been using this process for several years, so was not
inexperienced. One evening, in his shop alone, there was an
accident, and the shop was filled with cyanide and nitric acid fumes.
He escaped by throwing a chair through the display window, and
However, he was not unscathed. There was significant damage done to
his lungs, and was no longer able to breathe properly. This condition
continued to worsen over the next twenty years, until he couldn’t
keep enough oxygen in his lungs to survive. Of course, his continued
smoking hadn’t helped. He died in the Memphis Medical Center
intensive care unit of, essentially, suffocation. The emergency staff
were unable to revive him that one last time.
I worked with him the last several years, helping him do any and all
tasks in the shop that required even the least exertion. On a number
of occasions, I helped him to his cot in the back because he was too
exhausted to even sit at his bench,
Please take heed.