Question on how large curb chain is filed

I’m fascinated by large “Cuban link” styled curb chains and I was thinking of making my own but probably 5mm width and nothing too insane.

My question is about how they are filed flat after they are twisted. When I’ve seen videos of large curb chains being filed, the file is held with both hands (one on each hand) and actually used in a perpendicular direction to the length of the curb chain. How is that working? I’m asking because I wonder if special kinds of files are being used so that they can work in such a perpendicular position.

I know there are many different kinds of files like “lathe files” for example. But I never heard of a file that can work in the perpendicular position or nearly perpendicular.

Thanks for any info.

1 Like

It will cut this way but not very effective. You have to move if forward a little bit. It is held with both hand to get more even surface.
Here is another video where you can see the process.

2 Likes

Ah, so these are regular files, but they are just simply forcing them to work this way.

I had a feeling that was a possibility, but I wasn’t sure.

Would a double cut file be more likely to work this way than a single cut file?

1 Like

The process is called Draw Filing in the tool and die world and although it looks inefficient it is actually fairly aggressive.

It is done with a single cut file.

It is a finishing technique also used by bladesmiths to flatten larger areas.

Hope this helps… Put a safe edge on the file before you do this or you will have a TON of little nibbles

Kerri

1 Like