Question for Mass Finishing Experts

Hello all!
I need an opinion about the Magnetic Pin Finisher. I need to know the best/fastest way to finish my newly soldered cuff links that will return them to their former mirror shine after the inevitable depletion gilding from pickling. If I was only finishing a couple, I could love on them for a long time to bring back the shine but this is a mass production situation so I need something that will shine them up with a minimum of time and trouble. Is the pin finisher the best option for getting into the nooks and crannies of the little hinged back? Will the pin finisher bring back the shine? Is there another method that can do a better job? Maybe Judy H. can weigh in on this one? This would be quite an investment so I very much appreciate your help!!
Melissa

Melissa - pin finishers are not usually the choice for a high shine. On flat surfaces, they make little pock marks. They are mostly used for cleaning castings and polishing heads. It really depends on what you have on the public side of your cuff links. A pin finisher would be ok for the back, but likely will mess with your pretty side. If you could post a picture of what you are trying to finish, along with what metal(s) you are using, i could make a competent recommendation. Or if you want to keep your designs private, you can email me judy at judyhoch dot com.

1 Like

Hello,
I don’t know enough about Magnetic Pin Finishers to answer your question for your specific need, but I was just researching them when I ran across a video by Shawn Wagner here on ganoksin about making your own. Looks like it would be pretty easy and very inexpensive even if you purchase a new motor (he uses a found one). Here’s the link:

After watching the video I see that one could use an inline duct fan motor along with a duct fan speed adjuster controller to make sure the speed of the spinning magnetic table is what you want, and not too fast. If you or someone you know is in the mood to build one, you could save a lot of money!

1 Like

Thanks Marian - I’ll check it out!!
Melissa