After reading this I have to correct some info that isn't correct.
Boric acid is Toxic:
It was the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the summer time.
As it was a common eye wash medication twenty years ago when I was
selling pest control info sheets by mail in the back of magazines.
When mixed with water and keep in the refrigerator, unlabeled it was
mistaken for ice water having no taste or smell to speak of it was
the one of the leading causes of poisoning. This was according the
poison control hot line doctors. Here is A Material Data Safety
Sheets info on the boric acid.
Potential Health Effects
Causes irritation to the mucus membranes of the respiratory tract.
May be absorbed from the mucus membranes, and depending on the
amount of exposure could result in the development of nausea,
vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, rash, headache, fall in body
temperature, low blood pressure, renal injury, cyanosis, coma, and
Symptoms parallel absorption via inhalation. Adult fatal dose
reported at 5 to > 30 grams.
Causes skin irritation. Not significantly absorbed through the
intact skin. Readily absorbed through damaged or burned skin.
Symptoms of skin absorption parallel inhalation and ingestion.
Causes irritation, redness, and pain.
Prolonged absorption causes weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, skin
rash, convulsions and anemia. Liver and particularly the kidneys may
be susceptible. Studies of dogs and rats have shown that infertility
and damage to testes can result from acute or chronic ingestion of
boric acid. Evidence of toxic effects on the human reproductive
system is inadequate.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems, or
impaired liver, kidney or respiratory function may be more
susceptible to the effects of the substance.
The most important part is the FATAL dosage for adults. Ingestion:
Adult fatal dose reported at 5 to > 30 grams. So the amount for pets
or children would be lower. Here is the complete MSDS from the web
Boric acid is safer than most items of a chemical nature used but it
does have a danger. The miss out there about this
product has been to some extent been brought about by good
intentions about its benefits as a pesticide compared to others.
Used both in side and outside the house.
Some of the mix up comes from people confusing Diatomaceous Earth
that is mixed with the boric acid and is the fossil skeletons of
Diatoms and kill the pest by puncturing the bodies of the pest and
drying the water out of them. hydro-scopic is the term to describe
it. Boric Acid is a natural substance that the insects don't
recognize as a poison. Since there is always more of the
diatomaceous earth in the roach pruff's mixes they just skip the
boric acid in the MSDS.
Again as long as you are aware you shouldn't have any problems using
been there done that !
I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV! All the usual and
standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as
directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or
suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals