In my studio, I had a wood stove, somewhat funky electrical wiring,
a gas furnace - several torches, from propane, to Little Torch
propane/oxygen, to air/acetylene, to oxy-acetylene.
I cut rocks so have many electrical machines for grinding and
sawing. I’ve got wires everywhere, lights hanging everywhere. Lots
of little heaters for lots of different things, like pickling or
cleaning stones, or you name it. Hair dryers for heating and glue
pots and dopping lamp. In other words I have an amazing assortment
of things that can cause fire. And then of course there are all the
solvents and glues and finishes for stone and wood.
And this morning I had a fire in my studio caused by a faulty power
strip. The Vermont Fire Marshall came to my studio today and told me
that my fire started in the power strip and that lots of fires start
in power strips.
I purchased my fire strip to avoid fire. Apparently it’s necessary
to replace them every year or two or they can catch on fire. Not
only that but this is not generally available because it
doesn’t say so on the strip or the packaging.
I had quite a bit of damage and at some point will have to have a
fire sale of stones to try and recover much of the equipment in my
But in the mean time folks, replace your power strips. And buy good
ones. I think mine was UL approved and I don’t overload mine. One or
two things on them and nothing very heavy.
Yes I had insurance on the building, but not on the contents because
that was very expensive.
A POWER STRIP!!!