Popularity of Argentium Sterling Silver

I always use alcohol and boric acid on Continuum and have not had an issue
with forescale.
-Jo

thats funny autocorrect----thank you for understanding that I meant fire scale —ok i might try continuum again…

The glasses are awsome

Thanks. I love making them.

Jo

I agree glasses are very impressive work. Will try my hand for wife’s B day.

I also agree that my given silver metal of choice its continum. I do castings for others who spec out their metals so I have been around the block a time or two with 1/2 a dozen silver alloys.

As Jo stated, I too want to use the best metal for the job. And these days we have options.

It does not matter to me if my customer requires a product that may not be the best fit for the job. Should they leave it to me, I will suggest what I think would be the best option. Some ask and some don’t.

Regards
Franz

Wow - my question sure sparked a great discussion!
Follow up question: years ago people said it was necessary to bake Argentium wire in the oven before using it for wire wrapping. Is that now still necessary? It’s time for me to restock. Thx!

Since I just caught up on this thread, it made me curious. I have switched to Argentium because I love working with it so much more than regular sterling silver. I am curious how Continum and Sterlium compare with regards to how they are to work with. I don’t use boric acid flux at all on my argentium and never have issues. I love the fusing ability and how easy the argentium solder flows. Has anyone ever put together a comparison sheet of the the three, that would be very interesting. Thanks

I prefer Continuum specifically for it’s working properties and strength.
It’s much easier to use than Argentium. Much more stable at high temps.
Bead sets beautifully, no worries about contaminating with sterling or fine
silver. Fuses beautifully. Kiln hardens as hard and springy as white gold.
Enamels beautifully. Oxydizes a beautiful black with liver of sulfur. The
only thing it doesn’t do well is granulation and balling up the end of a
wire.
Have fun and make lots of jewelry.
Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com.

2 Likes

So…does anyone know if it is still necessary to bake Argentium wire in the oven before using it for wire wrapping?

I get a better formed bead using argentium than sterling. I always flux and hold the wire vertically and allow the bead to move upward. It is a real pleasure for me. The ball is much more uniform than the sterling ball. See ball & link bracelet on my website www.teresacetto.com

There was an issue in MJSA comparing the different alloy properties and their applications, May 2011 issue.
Deb