Polishing Jet - it's just not shiny

@jagwallen That method makes sense and makes future maintenance easier by polishing metal and stone at the same time. Jet cannot maintain a highly reflective surface without periodic polishing.

Do you think the reason they depend on an adhesive rather than a pushed over bezel is because over time the jet could wear away enough to become loose in the setting? If so, then does that same logic apply to setting amber?

Now that I think about it, if the jet could wear away enough to become loose in the setting, then it would also wear away from the adhesive as well. I wouldn’t think the additives in the adhesive would help in that regard, surely the coal dust is used to color the adhesive.

@Betty2 I think the reluctance to use a rubover bezel is because jet (at least the Whitby variety!) is so soft it would be very easy to mar the stone when setting. Also when polishing the setting it would be easy to remove enough of the stone to distort its shape.

This is all conjecture, I’ve never tried a rub over setting in jet, but the fact that I could find no jet cabochons for sale in Whitby the day I visited makes me think there are good reasons for using a thick walled setting and adhesive.

You are right about maintenance. I think jet is too soft for a ring but it was a bit of a bucket list thing really. A quick touch up with emery and a buffing wheel should return all to an acceptable standard.

Again I was told coal dust would disguise any visible adhesive, though it wasn’t strictly necessary. Burning only wood at home I managed to trouser a little bit of coal from the fireplace of the pub where we stopped for lunch. It’s done me proud! Who says crime doesn’t pay?

The rough jet I bought in Whitby and purloined coal.

Regards
John
Dartmouth, just dying to get the boat onto the river again. Rain? Enough!!!

1 Like