Oxy-Propane setups: does size impact safety in intermittently used studios?

Trying to post a pdf document that explains how my torch setup works. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I stumbled across a used medical oxygen concentrator just as i was setting up my new, home based shop. I now have a collection of oxygen tanks sitting out in a barn.
I also have a fair collection of 20# tanks, after 40 years at the bench.
I find the a camp sized propane cylinder, and the concentrator lasts me quite some time, so this set-up is a godsend.
I do also have the laser, so i am not totally reliant of a flame, but I use the torch quite a bit each day.
This week I finally got around to refilling several empty propane bottles, as an experiment.
It took a bit of practice, but once I learned to be very light on the valve, it works extremely well.
There is no way at all that anyone can tell a refilled propane cylinder from a new one, unless you’ve refilled one for so long it looks ancient and suspicious.

Since my setup uses a non-adjustable propane regulator, I have a collection of regulators, hoses, check valves and flashback arrestors in storage.

Wow! Where are you located?

Canada.

Upstate NY

Where in Upstate, I live near Syracuse…Rob

Basically, near Albany.
The nearest “city” is Cobleskill, but my trade is throughout the Albany, Schenectady, Troy area, as far west as Johnstown, Gloversville.
Jim

I live in Jordan, NY. Right between Syracuse and Auburn and not too far from Skaneateles. Sure wish it would rain…Rob

Amen. This summer we are watering all the gardens twice a day, trying to keep things alive.

I checked through Walmart Canda and they do sell the adapters for transferring propane from the 20 lb tank to the 1 lb canister, so I would guess that these are legal…or at least obtainable. Who’s to know whether you used one or not? They would apparently be cheaper on ebay if they will ship to Canada. IDK why propane tanks cost so much in Canada…make a trip to the US and carry one back? Can they be shipped in from the US?

In theory this type adapter should only be used to refill tanks that are designed and certified for refilling in Canada. As an example

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-King-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B00MM3GCVO

the tank walls are stronger and designed for repeated cycles

1 Like

No we can’t bring in oxygen tanks or ship them from the US to Canada. There are all kinds of things like pickle and glue that I cannot get because I would have to pay a fortune for hazardous shipping. I could probably buy the adapter etc. but my insurance wouldn’t cover me then. There are all kinds of chemicals that are used in the US for etching etc. that I cannot buy here because only scientists are allowed to purchase them. It is hard to be a metalsmith in Canada. Apart from all that, we have very little choice to buy silver or tools so we have to pay high shipping rates, currency exchange and then customs duty on top. So between the difficulty getting materials and the expense, it is almost impossible for us to compete with US jewelry businesses.Sorry, but you got me started.

1 Like

It is hard to be a metalsmith in Canada. Apart from all that, we have very little choice to buy silver or tools so we have to pay high shipping rates, currency exchange and then customs duty on top. So between the difficulty getting materials and the expense, it is almost impossible for us to compete with US jewelry businesses.

Cue massive groan of sympathy. Actually, we have some great metals and stone suppliers locally, but tools…! And while I live a hop and skip from the border and used to amble down to Seattle for concerts, I can’t simply get them mailed to an American PO box because we are required to fill out paperwork for importing. Most of the equipment you can’t get easily in Canada (or the heavy ones you’d want to save money on shipping up north) is definitely rated industrial or commercial by border officers… thus, border waits, paperwork, additional fees, etc. For that hassle I just bite my tongue and pay for the swift shipping from UPS.

For instance, the oxy-propane unit I want only costs US545… but shipping it here will be at least another US$120, plus import duty and taxes. All in all, the cost goes up by another half again.

1 Like

It took me a couple tries to successfully refill small propane bottles from a 20# tank.
At first I was turning the bottles too tightly into the adaptor, and I was damaging the Schrader valve on the disposable tanks. They need to be threaded into the adapter just enough to seal.

You set the 20# tank in the sunshine, so that it is warm, and place the disposable bottle in the freezer.

When ready, you invert the 20# tank outdoors with the adapter installed, thread on the frozen disposable bottle, and turn on the valve, and listen until you hear the transfer of the liquid stop.
Turn off the valve,and unscrew the disposable tank. Listen for any sound of propane escaping, and smell the top of that disposable for any sign of propane.
We are not talking high pressure here, just the transfer of @1# of liquid.

1 Like

Just an FYI…Pure oxygen can be just as dangerous as fuel gases…any spark and the oxygen will oxidize (burn) anything combustible…real life (read deadly) experience…treat all of these gases with respect…

Yes agreed, oxygen is dangerous concentrated. A fuel gas leaking like that would be even worse. Either way I will never again step out of my studio without closing my tanks, which I normally did, except that one time as luck would have it.

I have refilled both tanks sold for one use and the refillable tanks from flameking. The one use tanks are harder to fill, but if you put the 1 lb. tank in the freezer and the 20 lb. tank in the sun, you can get fairly good results. There are youtube videos that show this and some include instructions on how to open the little air valve allowing even more liquid into the tank. That being said, there are reasons why they are designed for one use and I don’t want to find out why. I have 2 refillable tanks and the flameking valve and stand. This works well. Caution…regardless of how you refill, wear gloves, a long sleeve shirt and eye protection. If you disconnect in the wrong order you can get a nasty freeze burn, or whatever it is called. I say this from experience. I have found that the refillable tank from flameking doesn’t work well on my EZ Torch hose head. They are hard to seal and I filled the shop with propane one day this week. As a result, I have decided to use one time tanks on the EZ torch. I just bought 4 at Lowes for $15. Good luck and stay safe…Rob

1 Like

Yes, freeze burn is a good description. Nasty, can require skin grafts.

Lorraine

I hear you…I should have a big neon sign on my studio door…