New polishing machine safety question

Go to https://www.linemaster.com

I just noticed that this link doesn’t work because my name is appended to it. Just search on Linemaster Switch. By the way, this information came to me from Richard Lucas of Lucas Dental. Thanks Richard…Rob

Received this switch a couple days ago. It installed in about 20 seconds and works fine. It is a momentary switch. The polishing motor runs as long as I am stepping on the switch pedal. If my foot leaves the pedal for any reason, the motor looses power and spins down. There are a number of options on Amazon and other places on line to buy this type of switch. Make sure it’s rated for your motor amperage. Do a search on deadman switch, Linemaster Switch or go to https://www.linemaster.com. Thanks to Richard Lucas for helping me figure this out…Rob

I wonder if a heavy duty flex shaft foot control would allow me to have a variable speed polishing machine?

I have considered similar switches and have reached no decision yet. Why a momentary switch instead of a foot kill switch? And do you know if there is a break for a buffer like on the new table saws

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROIDOn Jan 20, 2017 8:29 AM, Robert Meixner <orchid@ganoksin.com> wrote:

rmeixner

January 20

Received this switch a couple days ago. It installed in about 20 seconds and works fine. It is a momentary switch. The polishing motor runs as long as I am stepping on the switch pedal. If my foot leaves the pedal for any reason, the motor looses power and spins down. There are a number of options on Amazon and other places on line to buy this type of switch. Make sure it's rated for your motor amperage. Do a search on deadman switch, Linemaster Switch or go to https://www.linemaster.com. Thanks to Richard Lucas for helping me figure this out...Rob

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I don't think that type of brake would work on a buffer. See this on the SawStop website:

http://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/the-technology

As an electrician; I think we are getting confused about terminology. A
“momentary” switch, a “dead-man” switch, and a “kill” switch are all one
and the same. They all require sustained mechanical pressure to keep power
going to the machine.

Many of these foot switches come in either a “on/off” sustained version,
or the momentary version. (Which is what’s needed for.a safety switch. )

Ron Charlotte
Gainesville, FL
thaalibi@gmail.com or ronch2@bellsouth.net

The switch I bought is a momentary switch. Step on it, the polishing motor spins. Remove my foot and the motor looses power and spins down, it does not immediately stop. There is no way for the switch alone to instantaneously stop the motor from spinning, some kind of brake needs to be employed. I am just happy to know that, should I have a problem, I don’t need to flick a switch with the hand that might be part of the problem to stop the motor. It also kind of forces me to stop the motor if I drop something and bend over towards the motor to pick up what I have dropped. I have to move my foot to bend over. I also drop a lot of things these days. I hope that this answers the question asked about the switch being an on/off switch or a momentary switch. Again, there appears to be many options out there, just read the description first before you buy it to make sure that it is what you want and can handle the current required by your motor…Rob

I drop a lot too. Especially guitar picks and little pieces of wire.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROIDOn Jan 20, 2017 12:17 PM, Robert Meixner <orchid@ganoksin.com> wrote:

rmeixner

January 20

The switch I bought is a momentary switch. Step on it, the polishing motor spins. Remove my foot and the motor looses power and spins down, it does not immediately stop. There is no way for the switch alone to instantaneously stop the motor from spinning, some kind of brake needs to be employed. I am just happy to know that, should I have a problem, I don't need to flick a switch with the hand that might be part of the problem to stop the motor. It also kind of forces me to stop the motor if I drop something and bend over towards the motor to pick up what I have dropped. I have to move my foot to bend over. I also drop a lot of things these days. I hope that this answers the question asked about the switch being an on/off switch or a momentary switch. Again, there appears to be many options out there, just read the description first before you buy it to make sure that it is what you want and can handle the current required by your motor...Rob

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.