Nena G. Potts - Jewelry Gallery

My current work is a search to include rich color along with movement and new ways of connecting the wearer with the object. My spinning tube bracelets and rings encourage the wearer to participate and interact with the work. The tubes are removable allowing the wearer to easily slip the bracelet on and off the wrist. The spinning tubes serve to entertain as well as access the wearer. These components constantly change as we move our viewpoint and challenge the stereotypes of traditional jewelry. I am also interested in the passage of time, and the idea of closure. I explore this concept by devising interesting ways to connect a piece rather than an ordinary clasp. Much of my work will incorporate hidden closures that are and integral part of the design, but also allow the wearer to easily access the jewelry. As I have aged I realized that there is a real need to be able to easily wear a piece of jewelry. I do not have the time or desire to fumble with a clasp therefore “necessity is the mother of invention”. My work contains more than meets the eye at first glance. So this is a mirror for my life and my work is a reflection of it.

Photo credit: Tom Davis Photography

Tie Dye For" Fine and sterling silver Drusy Quartz and enameling, with and integrated hidden magnetic clasp.

“Tension Tube” bracelets, sterling silver with enamel

“Tension Tube” bracelets, sterling silver with enamel

“Spinning Circle” rings, Fine and sterling silver with enamel and Diamonds.

“Spinning Circle” rings, Fine and sterling silver with enamel and Diamonds.

“Toggle Target” neckpiece, sterling silver, black onyx bullets with Prismacolor.

“Toggle Target” neckpiece, sterling silver, black onyx bullets with Prismacolor.

Neckpiece, sterling silver, Boulder Opal, Tourmaline and Prismacolor…

Neckpiece, sterling silver, Boulder Opal, Tourmaline and Prismacolor…