National Torch

Does anyone use the National Torch 3B-b? It is a gas and compressed air or O2 type torch that, according to their website, will work at .25 psi gas pressure. I am interested in a torch that will work at street NG pressure with either O2 or compressed air. Following is a link to their site…Rob

https://nationaltorch.com/?page_id=321

When I first got my current teaching job our studio had a bunch of torches that looked just like this that used piped in propane and compressed air. I thought that torch was fine for annealing but I didn’t like it for soldering and general use. I switched out those torches our for Smith Air/Acetylene and Smith Little Torches. I thought the flame on that torch was too soft/cool and too broad for fine work.

But torches are very personal. I’m sure some folks love them!

Again that was propane/compressed air not natural gas. As far as I know propane is a little hotter than natural gas.

That’s all I know about them. Maybe others will have more comments.

Jeff

Thanks, I have tried running my meco, hoke and little torch on street NG and O2. None of them really worked well…Rob

1 Like

We used National torches with natural gas and oxy tanks. It was a large hot flame that we used for casting and melting metals for ingot molds. For soldering we used Hoke torches with the same natural gas and oxy. The Hoke torch has an extra fine tip set that helps for very delicate work. I’ve tried to get used to the Presto-lite torches but they are heavy handed for fine work.

1 Like

I used a Presto-Lite for years. I stopped when I decided to get as much compressed gas as I could out of my shop because it is a fire hazard. My work was also getting finer and the big Presto-Lite flame was hard for me to use when I was trying to solder really fine pieces. Running any of my torches on street pressure NG and O2 is a challenge, but I would be happy to try again if I missed something the first time around. In the end, a NG concentrator may be the way to go…Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob, what is the street pressure of natural gas…?…are there regulators or boosters to dial in the pressure tou require?…

i seem to recall the mention of boosters with nat gas…in new york city shops (?)…

julie

Hi,

interesting related post…mentions rules about gas lines…interesting…

julie

NG Ssreet is typically .25 psi (yes 1/4 psi). This is very common, so to get, let’s say 10 psi that you can regulate down, you need a booster like those used in NYC. I am familiar with G-TEC. Thanks…Rpb

G-tech will fill you in on the settings, they are very supportive. Ask them about the regulator. when i switched over i got a set of tips from Paige Tools, otherwise it was difficult to light. Also there are some wonderful very lightweight hoses that i highly recommend. (hopefully someone here can remember who sells them). i switched to this setup about 3 years ago-it’s great

1 Like

At Metalwerx, the jewelry school outside of Boston, they use piped in natural gas with the pressure booster and an oxygen tank to power a number of their torches, including Smith LIttle Torches. That system works well for them.

Jeff

1 Like