More RT/Pancake Die Goodies (^8

This latest twist isn’t new at all in one fundamental way - the layout concept is very similar to something in the original RT (Roger Taylor) paper from 1980 ,later included as the instruction booklet sold by Rio Grande with the RT kit. Using this “side-cutter” (my name for the layout) approach is also old, as far as dies I’ve made, but using it to cut designs into the side of wire didn’t come to mind until just a few weeks ago. These are some of the test dies, and the pieces I made (for Mrs. S.) with them.

Haybrid Saw Ring joint

7 Likes

hi!
LOVE!

julie

1 Like

These are wonderful! The ring? Completely amazing. And what creative use for the split wire to set the stone! The ring bezel is fantastic! Sawing the wire down the middle presents enticing options for bezel set stones. I may hunt out of exclamation points…

2 Likes

I tried to say that I ran out of exclamation points. !!! But here are a few more.
I’m going to your site to buy :clap:

1 Like

Can you provide a link to Rio for this kit? I came up with nothing on their site so fa thanks in advance

1 Like

HI,
Thanks for all the compliments. Rio discontinued the ‘RT Blanking System’ many years ago. It was basically replaced by the old (also discontinued) Bonny Doon Saw Guide and hydraulic press (Rio sold a screw press for using the dies and it’s also discontinued). Old Bonny Doon person (the late, great Lee Marshall) became Knew Concepts, and they do make saws with the ability to cut at angles , which is necessary for making good pancake dies.

As far as my site, it’s not for sales, because I make custom dies to order, and don’t carry stock. I do have dies for sale on my Facebarf group sometimes though, and do have the test dies (a handful of them) that I made for this current idea up for sales inquiries and/or ordering.
Dar Shelton’s Pancake Die Paradise | Facebook

Dar

2 Likes

So many questions! How did you cut triangle wire? What held it in place?

Can your (these wire dies) be used in a vice? I don’t have a press and have been using fairly simple pancake dies (conchos and other decorative yet simple designs) sandwiched between steel blanks with good success. Up to 16g which is probably the top end for me.

Thanks, Sarah

Hi,
I don’t recommend using a vise, but it sounds like you have yours set up right, as long as the entire design and upper area of the die is covered by the plates AND you can get the parts to cut more or less all at once, without moving the die around and making multiple cuts.

I have a shear (forgot what style/name ) with a 3 -foot handle, bigass blades and lots of leverage, for cutting heavy stock, and normal bench shears for sheet metal. A jewelers saw is fine for cutting the big triangle, too.

Nothing was used to hold the wire in place in the die. I started with half round and low dome and found that the die and design had enough bite and tension to hold those wires during pressing. I had thought that triangle would need a stop/guide to keep it from sliding out, but it turned out that if the triangle was perfectly flat, the die would still grip it well enough, but only if the wire was totally flat.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I get good results in the vice using 1/8” steel plates to sandwich the die and a cheater pipe on the handle. It’s fun! Most of my dies are 1” and I have one or two 2” that I have cut 16g textured sheet in. It’s more difficult but doable. I don’t have room for a press nor do I need another rabbit hole…:roll_eyes: I spent some time last winter making hand stamped conchos and then turned them into a bracelet.

1 Like

I didn’t know you could cut that big/thick with a vise ( I’ve always had presses). Is your vise ordinary, or does it cut so much because it’s a big one?

2 Likes

Belt buckle using brass low dome (“half-oval” from Online Metals) that was 3/4" x 1/4" size. I cut design on both sides of that wire, sawed it down the middle (band saw) and used one half to make this buckle.

.75 LD buckle 1

1 Like

A bracelet made using the same die as the above belt buckle. Plus, a shot of the brass low dome piece with a different die, playing with possibilities. Plus, a ring that’s the same concept as the bracelet, but made with the die shown in this post.

buttwave ring a

1 Like

A bracelet I haven’t made, and a ring I have.

1 Like

You get the idea :smile:

1 Like

This is the first one of these dies with an adjustable stop, for alignment and keeping the wire from slipping. The sample wire here is 6 ga. nickel silver half round. the die will go to Chris Pruitt, for cutting into the sides of #1 triangle silver.

1 Like

So for the rings do you necessarily see the join? Or do you make them only in sizes where the pattern matches up?

I’ve been making them to fit either myself or my wife, so that’s the prime directive. The patterns don’t usually match up right , but I’m not being picky about it. It’s good for me to let go of some perfectionism. I’m not selling them or entering contests. :smiley:

1 Like