Making a table top draw bench-length

Thank for the advice, everyone!

A nice feature of that design over the boat winch and steel cable of my draw bench is that yours should not induce twisting as the wire is drawn. That can be very desirable.

What is the heaviest gauge you can pull with that drill? Can it pull thick wall tubing?

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Regards,
Neil A

Hard to say, Neil_a3. I just pulled wire for pin stems. I haven’t tried to pull thick wall tubing. I’m guessing that you could burn out the motor in the drill if you went to too high a gauge or thick wall tubing. Please, someone who ‘gets’ motors and drills chime in here. And, Richard Lucas, nope never thought about using a rheostat with this. Great idea.

Doing a few calculations. An M12 length of all-thread has a pitch of 1.75mm. A typical cordless screwdriver can deliver a torque of between 8-18nM., say 10nM., which works out at approx. 88 lbf-in,
An M12 screw thread has a pitch of 1.75mm and a radius of 6mm, with a mechanical advantage of about 21:1.
Using a cordless screwdriver to turn the M12 screw would be capable of generating a pulling force in excess of 7390lb or about 3.3 tons.
I guess that’s enough to draw some pretty thick wire.
No need for a rheostat when using a cordless electric drill.

2 Likes

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it:)

Thanks LoLinda! My shoulder loves you!
DebH