Many years ago, I also made a buffing machine from an old washing
machine motor. It’s been a while, but as I remember:
For a ventilation system that included a fan and and hood enclosure,
I took apart an old air conditioner, took out the compressor (and
everything else except for the fan) and added one of those wide
clothes dryer hoses and an air filter from Home Depot to the back of
the air conditioner. (As summer approaches, many people are tossing
out old air conditioners. I don’t think they’d mind if you recycled
their old one).
The air conditioner box was oriented with the vent slots on top
(with a piece of wire screen covering the slots, to catch dropped
jewelry). The motor was mounted in a position such that the air
conditioner fan pulled dust into the case and out of the bottom,
through the filter and hose. The entire unit was placed on cinder
blocks that I had, to bring it to a workable height. You could
construct a table frame and legs, I suppose.
The top hood enclosure was a cardboard box cut to shape. I also
mounted a utility light behind the motor. I got the motor at a tag
sale, so the whole thing cost about 25 dollars. It’s amazing what you
can do with duct tape, things around the house, and cardboard! It was
very make-shift, but it really worked pretty well.
About 7 years ago, at a store where I worked, a regular factory made
polishing unit briefly caught on fire from dust around the motor, so
I must reinterate Dave’s concerns about saftey in the workplace. If I
made it again, I would use something non-flameable for the hood
enclosure. Those thin metal enclosures intended for stoves or heating
ducts would probably work.
West Hartford, CT