All inorganic particle/powder substances exhibit magnetic phenomena
in the forms of diamagnetism, ferromagnetism or paramagnetism at any
The magnetic susceptibility is generally autonomous of field
strength but sometimes decreases with increasing temperature.
For a handy listing of the magnetic susceptability for various
elements including their oxides and sulfides go to:
The magnetic fields present in MRI devices are quite powerful.
Other, smaller devices can be quite strong as well. I have a
magnetic pulser unit that is contained in a chassis about the size
of a VCR that uses a three-inch diameter wire coil. This unit uses
capacitive discharge to pulse the coil. A four inch diameter
aluminum disc about 1/8 inch thick placed on the coil during
discharge will be impelled about 25 feet into the air with a loud
metallic whang sound. If you look on the chart at the site shown
above you can get a sense of where other elements lie in the scheme
of things. A 22k gold bracelet will definitely jump a bit. I don=92t
have any pure gold to test.
Before you panic, realize that we live our entire lives bathed in
the magnetic field of the Earth, both the static and micropulsation
components. The spectrum of the micropulsation component is almost
identical to the average waking EEG. The sun induces magnetic storms
on us all the time. Each time you place a cellular telephone to your
ear you are bathing your head in a magnetic field that pulsates at
1.5 gigahertz. I could go on and on about TV=92s, motors, microwave
ovens, power lines etc., but these are the daily risks of our lives.
That big doughnut they stick you in during MRI examination is an
electromagnet. The planet you live on is one as well. But then again
your cellular telephone is a miniature microwave oven. I would be a
lot more worried about that than an MRI.
Not that I am positive about MRI though, or the medical practices
behind it. Go here if you want to know what I mean: