Magnetic vs SS Shot Tumbling

What happens if you put SS shot in with the pins?..Rob

Hi Rob,
it sounds like they improve the action of the pinsā€¦perhaps the keep the pins from aligningā€¦to keep them separatedā€¦?

julie

I was just wondering about the mixed shot that I use in my rotary tumblerā€¦Rob

Yes, they are mixed in with the pins in my tumbler. I have no idea if they make any difference. I did not notice a huge improvement after I put them in.

Neil A

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only ever used the small pins in my mag finisher.

Regarding the pin separator you can use the magnetic base from a dial indicator stand. Not quite as light or convenient as the pistol grip one, but you can pick up inexpensive models for about $20.
Hereā€™s an inexpensive one available through McMaster-Carr.

1 Like

Thanks! That got me curious, so I did more Googling. Rio Grande also has less expensive version.

Cheers!

Jeff

I used the base of a dial indicator and it does separate the work from the beads. It is, however, still a bit of a chore getting all the beads to release once you turn off the magnet. I wonder if a simple electro magnet might work, especially if it is finished with some sort of smooth surfaceā€¦Rob

A thickish plastic bag on a magnet works too.
Just take the magnet out of the bag after and all the magnetics fall off.

3 Likes

Great ideaā€¦Rob

I do very small runs with both of my tumblers, which Iā€™ve had for many years. One is a Lortone, and the other is made by Fasco. I use mixed steel shot in the Fasco and Hone and Highlight in the Lortone. Both barrels are rubber and are holding up just fine with this kind of use. So, I donā€™t think you need to worry too much.

So far I am liking this little Arbe magnetic pin finisher a lot. It does what I ask, mainly to polish little pieces too small to hold safely in my hands against a wheel. Itā€™s faster than SS steel shot and I have figured out how to efficiently separate the polished pieces from the media. A nice addition to my tumbler museum: 1 large and 2 medium sized flow through vibratory tumblers all on a plumbed cart, an old rotating rock tumbler and a SS shot tumbler that I will use for larger runs like 50 pairs of ear wires or to clean up large quantities of shop worn earrings. I am interested in feedback about why you would use smaller media. My current media is .5X5 and I see that you can buy .3X5 too. Also, what happens if you run mixed shot in a magnetic finisher. I am not sure that it will turn, but I guess that I will have to find outā€¦Rob

I have been using my Lortone with the same ss shot for 6 years, probably 4-5 hours a week. It works just the same as ever.

We were discussing how to separate magnetic finishing pins and SS shot from our work in a recent discussion. I did an online search and found an inexpensive (cheap) and fairly well made tool on Amazon that seems to work well. The face is about 2" in diameter and easily fits inside the small bowl of my Arbe pin finisher. It has a fairly powerful magnet and some of the smaller silver pieces just get stuck in the mass of pins, but they can be easily picket out. It is made from mostly plastic, which makes sense since there is a magnet inside whose force you want directed outside towards the pins or shot. Following is an Amazon linkā€¦Rob

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RLGDPE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like