Lost wax casting

Hiii, Im looking for a reliable releasing spray, gel, wax anything that will do the job. When creating wax components on plaster I can never get the wax off again without breaking it. I’ve used Vaseline, various house hold oils, washing up liquid etc. Is there something that is specific for this please? I’ve even tried creating the wax piece on the plaster and leaving it on there to cast it but it’s just not a efficient method. Please help me !! Thank you :))

I’m not sure what you do.
Do you use reusable wax models in plaster?

If so what about some kind of silicone
or teflon spray.

In winter we use silicon spray on the door gaskets of cars so they don’t freeze.
They are cheap but since I don’t know where you live it may be hard to find.
Ebay might be a place to look.
Regards Per-Ove

Hi there,
so…is the plaster part of your process used to fill or support a hollow area…while you are creating the wax model?.. like a stick in a lollipop?..like for for a bead?..sounds interesting…i am not familiar with this process…does it have a name?

just curious

Julie

I’m not sure exactly what you’re doing but if you have a plaster mold that you’re using for wax, the best release is simply water. Assuming there are no undercuts in your plaster mold, it can be soaked in water and then left to dry a little bit, only to the point where there is no surface water remaining on it. Melted wax will release very easily moist plaster and the mold can be reused. This was a common technique before rubber molds became available. But that was a long time ago.

2 Likes

The plaster absolutely has to be wet. I used to make hundreds of 4" diameter hemispherical wax shells for ceramic shell bomb casting by pouring molten wax into soaked plaster moulds. There would be no visible water droplets left on the moulds. If the wax were way too hot, there could still be a small chance of it sticking. I had refined my technique by using wax just barely hot enough, thereby ensuring minimal shrinkage.
In the UK, nobody would dream of casting wax into dry plaster, it would be virtually guaranteed to stick. Worse, once it has stuck, the plaster mould can never really be cleaned of the wax in that area (not even with solvents) and has to be discarded.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, wet with actual water on it ( the mold dunked into water ) or it just not fully dry yet?

The plaster mould would be soaked until saturated with water, then all surface water removed with a tissue for a few seconds. Once a bit of dry plaster contacts wax, it will never again release the wax, so it is imperative it be saturated if you want to reuse your moulds (as I always did). Visible droplets of water are not a good idea, you would get the shape of water droplets cast into your wax!

Thank you. This is the first sort of thing I have seen like this, I will give it a go !

Hi Miss Pippa and everyone on Ganoksin!
I’m so sorry for not getting back to you much earlier, I’ve had some health problems lately, (my 4th surgery.)
I have all of the necessary answers to your “Casting in Wax” problems, they are all in my blog.
Here are the ‘dates and the topic names’ of them both;

1. ''April 20, 2018". The topic name is “Setting Stones in Wax
  2. “April 19, 2018”. The topic name is “Casting with Gemstones - Manual
    There are a total of 10 pages for you to read. Hoping that these two essays are of some help to you!
    Regards and the best of the Holidays that are fast approaching!!!