Leonid Surpin passed away

Sorry to learn of his demise. Leonid was full of knowledge and gracious enough to share it - a loss of a resource. Although some of his opinions created controversy, it was always interesting to read the posts. RIP, Leonid

2 Likes

This is such sad news. Leonid’s knowledge was absolutely fantastic. On a pound for pound basis, he was more influential for my growth as a jeweler than any other class or instructor I’ve had (save perhaps one). I used to email him from time to time with the odd question once he left the forum and he never hesitated to help me with an in-depth reply. I will certainly miss his expertise. RIP Leonid

1 Like

This makes me very sad. Leonid reminded me of an old school horse trainer: he’d maybe yell a bit at you and make you hustle, but he’d make damn sure you learned how to do the job right! I remember I asked a question on Orchid about how to make a crown setting, and he wrote up this whole, fairly complicated thing just for me and sent it to me as a private email. He didn’t need to do that! He just did it so I would learn to do it right. THAT’S a real jeweler! He will be missed.

2 Likes

This is indeed sad. Leonid was such a giving person.

1 Like

This is super sad to me. Leonid and I had a long offline friendship. When he was being battered by a certain few,I sent him a personal message, it continued on from there. Unaware he had passed on, just yesterday I was arranging my “stuff,” in preparation to return to the Jewelry side of my life, when I came across Leonid’s Eternity Ring CD. It was a gift from him oh so long ago.
Some of the disrespect I saw c0ming into discussions was disappointing to me, I spent less active time on Orchid, sadly.
Coming from an older generation,I missed the respectful camaraderie that was the original Orchid.
Rest in Peace my friend Leonid. I will miss our chats.
Hugs
Terrie

2 Likes

Awww… This is such sad news. I always enjoyed reading his feisty conversations and was sorry when he left the forum. He was truely talented. Another master of the old ways…gone. R.I.P. Mr. Surpin.

1 Like

Whoa… obnoxious Orchid members ran him off the forum? I am sorry that he has passed. But I don’t remember it that way . At all.

Sad to hear, Ienjoyed Leonids discussions.

1 Like