Know Any Schools with a Deserving Jewelry Training Program?

Hello, Everyone! Do you know of a jewelry training program that would benefit from the donation of this high-quality, easy-to-use finishing system? Nominate a program here.

In partnership with the MJSA Education Foundation, Rio is donating a Sand Blaster to a jewelry-related training program, and we are seeking industry recommendations from the jeweler’s community. Goldsmith Gary Dawson of Gary Dawson Designs used a Wolf Tools Pen-Style Sand Blaster to demonstrate different types of finishes in an article published by the MJSA Journal. Designed by renowned tool-maker Kate Wolf (and tested by Gary Dawson!), this piece of equipment is valued at over $500! Drawing to take place on June 30, 2017.

Thanks for helping us get the word out to many deserving jewelry training programs!

The nomination link in the OP is not functioning properly. So I will post my nomination here until the link is fixed. I nominate the William Holland School of Lapidary Arts in the town of Young Harris, Georgia. http://www.lapidaryschool.org/about.htm

The William Holland School is a non-profit school which offers very reasonable rates for students wanting to learn a variety of Jewelry making skills. You can see their courses offered here: http://www.lapidaryschool.org/PDF/2017-Schedule-William-Holland.pdf

They have a very good reputation and students travel from all across the country to take classes there.

1 Like

I nominate the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina because it is a non-profit school and it attracts well-known artists as teachers and students from the US and foreign countries. It has work-study programs and awards scholarships to worthy students.

1 Like

Thanks for this. We have tested the form and it appears to be in working order. If you’d like to direct message us your browser information, perhaps we could troubleshoot. Thanks again!

1 Like

The Nomination link button does appear to be working properly now.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know that this is working for you now :slight_smile:

Familab in Longwood Fl. It’s a makers space, the misnomer of hackrrspace is misleading. But they do all sorts of teaching. If they charge for a class it is nominal and everyone is taught. For those who do not have the ability to pay for a class, it is given without regard to cost. I should know. They have me setting up their jewelry/metalsmithing end. Currently they are all into anodising metals from niobium to aluminum. As soon as i get more of my equipment over there I will be doing more traditional jewelry teaching. One person who teaches welding is a NASA employee. The guy who does all the metal milling with lathes and cmc has phenomenal knowledge. We have a guy who is into making knives. We have a bio lab that to make sure everything is above board the person in charge meets with the FBI. We have 3D printers of all sizes and types (but none doing wax for jewelry yet) We have a full wood working section. There is a traditional darkroom for photography. The list goes on. Most of the stuff they have has been donated. Somethings they do crowd funding to raise the money. Everything is shared. Members are from kids to those of my age or older. It is amazing the talent we have and the willingness to share and pass it on. The jewelry end is fledgling. Beyond my tools and the extras I have, that is their whole jewelry set up. It will grow. Leather working started with nothing, and has grown into quite the professional set up.

Aggie boiling in the humidity

1 Like

BTW the monmination button is not working still

And the winner is? :slight_smile:

Congratuations to B Golden Jewelry School Jewelry school in Salt Lake City, UT! They were our randomly selected winner of the MJSA and Rio Grande Bead Blaster giveaway. Thanks to all who entered and shared this giveaway with your favorite jewelry educators!⠀:)