Kate Alterio - Jewelry Gallery

Kate Alterio
New Zealand

Kate Alterio is a Wellington based multidisciplinary artist who works in contemporary jewellery, painting, and photography. Her work often explores diversity, the tension between opposites, human connectedness, physical, metaphysical and spiritual themes.

My journey as an artist has taken a circuitous route, beginning with contemporary jewellery, moving into painting and more recently to photography. I find it deeply satisfying to work with different media, pushing my personal and technical boundaries to express ideas in multiple ways. Each medium has a different quality: the precision of jewellery, the fluid nature of painting, and capturing and holding time with photography.

I am a great believer in responding to the natural flow of life and embracing opportunities as they arise. Several mentors have contributed to my development as an artist: Dorthe Kristensen in jewellery, Claire Beynon in painting, and Heinz Sobiecki, James Gilberd and John Williams in photography. Each experience was transformative, opening doors for me to explore and discover different aspects of myself.

Through creative expression, I connect the spiritual and physical worlds, bringing the formless into the world of form. I often explore diversity, human connectedness, physical, metaphysical and spiritual themes. My conceptual approach questions the relationships between ego and consciousness, duality and paradox, and liminality and transformative processes.

For me, the process of creating is somewhat meditative with each medium calling for a unique approach. At times, different media and themes cross over or respond to each other in ways that inspire new directions or suggest solutions to technical challenges. The act of creation requires faith. It is rare to know everything when I start a new body of work. Often there is an unfolding journey that I must trust in and even surrender to. My intention is to create a sense of stillness and potency in my work that invites viewers to feel a corresponding resonance within themselves.

My work is held in private and corporate collections in New Zealand and overseas.

Sterling silver, fine silver, 24ct gold, and resin

Standing out in a crowd

Earrings
Fine silver, sterling silver,
18ct rose gold, resin

Diamond in the rough

Sterling silver, silver crystals and resin

Crossing over

Brooch
Sterling silver
24ct gold

One of a kind