Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Jim Grahl, Bench & shop chaos

Hi Ted, sorry fr the delayed reply.
I’d love to see some pictures of your larger equipment (& the barn…).
I have a great friend in Philadelphia who does coining, stamping & cuts metal molds & dies. We have been cross pollinating projects for years. My bigger tools lend themselves more to the auto side of my life.
Great conversion for your truck (Lorry ?). One of mine is a T phaeton body on a modded A chassis with a built A motor with a 3-71 blower, '39 trans w/ Zephyr gears & 40 rear end (newest part.) in process. Not sure what I’m doing with the 23 T, probably a speedster or vintage track roadster.
My son work for me 4 days a week, and though he has bench skills, he’s more into the art & research end. I love having him with me but I think his time to experience other things is coming. Either way, I treasure the time I have with him, he’s a joy to work with.
Thanks for the note, again, sorry for the delay.
Best to ya,
Jim

Hi Jim, Thank you for your reply.
From its contents your sure to be familiar with most of my equipment, except the 1880’s medium drop stamp castings which I built up up into a fully portable machine some 20 yrs ago.
Its surprisingly rigid to the point the alignment remains constant throughout a days use.
Interestingly it only varies depending on the ambient temperature of the day.
tight first thing andf slacker between the guides by late afternoon.
total weight around a ton, hammer weight 275 lbs.
The friction drive is my own idea different to whats normally used. I found 1.5 turns of a cotton strap backed with 2 teryelene ditto on a beech wood wheel turning at 1rpm a sec is about right. My pull on the bell pull around 20 lbs.
and! easy to use.
Theres a major difference between a stamp and a coining press whether hyd or knuckle. Its very fast which means one can do hot stamping for all sorts of reasons.
hope you enjoy a good look at the pics.
Ted.

Hi Jim,
My IT guru had a spare moment and added these 3 pics to the above.
The Titanium bowl is 18in dia and 3mm thick.
the bronze is 14in dia and 4mm thick
The buckle is in minted sterling 2 &1/4 in dia and the backing and fittings in bronze.
some parts are" double" material made here then minted to design.
This buckle is part of my 50th anniversary product range.
The designs are “Night” and “Day” by Bertel Thorwaldsen the neo classical reliefs he carved in Rome in 1830. with the blessing of the BT museum in Copenhagen. No one has so far interpreted these in a minted form in Sterling!.
Enjoy.
Ted.