Is Foredom hammer handpiece compatable with Grobet flexshaft?

I have two Grobet flexshafts. One of them is dedicated to my Pepe jump ring maker saw. The other I use for everything else. I am 2 years new to silversmithing and I am planning to take some online classes in stone setting in the next few weeks. The instructor of my classes uses a Foredom flexshaft and the Foredom hammer hand piece. She also shows how to use a setting punch with a chasing hammer. I would like to learn both methods but I don’t know if I will have to buy the Foredom flexshaft in order to use the hammer hand piece. I’d rather not spend the extra $$ on another flexshaft at this point. I also saw in the Orchid forum that there Grobet makes a hammer hand piece. It is more expensive than the Foredom and the person in the forum mentioned they liked the Grobet better. I was under the impression from the forum post that Grobet makes the hand piece to fit the Foredom flexshaft. I may be incorrect in that assumption. Will either of the hammer hand pieces work with my Grobet? If so, which one do you think is better and why? Thanks for your input! My head is kind of spinning with all the new tools I’d like to try and not knowing enough about it all!

I cannot answer this, but a quick search suggests that the handpices are fairly interchangeable.

1 Like

I have a Grobet flexshaft and it works fine with my Foredom hammer handpiece. However, there may be better control by using a Foredom LX motor. You should be just fine with your setup! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for your input! I decided to go with the Foredom duplex spring hammer handpiece. I also spoke with an affilitate of Pepe Tools, who sells the engraving attachment as well as the handpiece. He also said it would be fine with my Grobet. I just received it yesterday. I started to set it up and saw that it needs special lubrication before using. Dang! If I had only known that, I would have ordered the appropriate Foredom grease and oil at the same time. It’s ok, not like I don’t have plenty of other projects to work on while I wait😊

Little by little it will all fall into place, Denise. Keep pushing forward!

1 Like