Hydrogen water torch without MEK or Methanol

Is it possible to use ethanol (lab grade pure) mixed with boric acid in the front bubbler of an HHO torch? I understand it’d likely be slightly higher temp than a methanol or MEK mix, but… well… frankly, I’m not set up to store methanol here. And the stuff’s way more dangerous than any other chemical I have in the shop, so I’d prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

Just wondering if anyone’s used ethanol for the filter alcohol with any reasonable success.

Back in the early 80s when water torches were a new thing and before pre made water torch coolants with flux were made I used to make my own. I found that a 50/50 mix of acetone and denatured alcohol worked best for me. MEK ran too hot for my taste. Plus my nose said “Nope. This shit is really bad for you.” I was working in a very busy trade shop. it was my job to repair tiny fragile things like chains, (Oy! the hollow ones!) and re-tipping melee. So I needed a cooler but concentrated flame. As for flux I just pre dipped the items in a 50 50 mixture of denatured alcohol. Regular liquid and paste flux were too cumbersome and thick for the super fine pieces. And remember that water torches are really only suited for pin point work. They are not suitable for things like soldering a silver ring which sucks up heat and needs a larger flame.

Thanks. Yeah… I have acetylene/air and oxy/propane that are generally fine. But someone gave me a water torch, and I’d like to get some use out of it. Even if just for little repairs. I just am NOT a fan of methanol. I know someone who lost most of his sight from methanol fumes that weren’t properly evacuated when there was a spill. And it’s WAY down on the list of things I want to have around if I can avoid it. Hard to store. Hard to trust that this water torch is sealed enough not to leak fumes.

Now ETHANOL, I use aplenty (violin varnish making), so I have it readily available. Sounds from reports like it should work fine. And if I keep it 99.5% pure (lab grade), I should avoid issues with clogs that might happen from denatured.

Oh, wow. Lab grade ethanol is way overpriced. It might be worth trying 95%.

Not really any more expensive than methanol these days. Not from my supplier, anyway. Gallon for $30. Should last a little while.