How do you heat/ soften stone setters shellac (stick or flake)

I’ve found that the tape tends to hold better on to metal, so if you have bench steel bench block try that too.

1 Like

Hi,
omg…so sorry…i typed the tape name wrong…it is Nitto Permacel P-02…not P-01…my fingers are so pudgy!

julie

Hi,
test #3- i tried bright cutting the above mentioned bezel setting, to remove the cubic zirconia oval stone…again, i used a new piece of tape

with strong sideward pushing action, it mostly held, but wanted to scoot around slightly…i was able to hold it down with the aid of my thumb…of course great care must be take to avoid injury from graver slippage…

as i was bright cutting i had the thought that stability could be increased if i cut 2 strips and used them to tape the top and bottom end/ sides and then wrap down to the base tape…it bonds together strongly

julie

I always used plain old flake shellac on the end of a wooden dowel to hold settings. Heated gently with propane-only torch. Completed setting removed with tweezers and the same gentle heating with torch. Excess shellac remaining on the piece can simply be burned off with the torch. Lasts forever.

Janet in Jerusalem

2 Likes

Hu,

hmmm…latex glue…interesting…wonder if it works on metal…says no need to coat both pieces…

julie

Hi,

on a related note, something like this might be good for holding small items, like post earrings, in a vise/ ball vice/ ring clamp…this one has a hex shaft with flat sides…

i also saw ones that fit threaded shafts or tapers…some close down to like 0-10m for around $35-75

this one closes down to .3mm and is $11.99 for the pair…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722R1VJW/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0722R1VJW&pd_rd_w=2pEfi&content-id=amzn1.sym.07d4f2af-6342-4249-a50e-928411266fe1&pf_rd_p=07d4f2af-6342-4249-a50e-928411266fe1&pf_rd_r=QDPERN93PWT1MC5M874R&pd_rd_wg=51r6w&pd_rd_r=59398b3d-db96-44b6-ba33-08916a711f6f&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

(i tried deleting the portion after the ?, but it broke the link…?)

julie