so I just got my orange flakes and am having trouble already! :frowning:
if itā€™s not sticking to the wood, does that mean itā€™s burned? I hardly
heated it up? Or maybe not enough heat? Is a dark brown color , is that
what it should be?
By the time I get it out of the stainless bowl, itā€™s almost hardened. any
additional advise???
thanks in advance

[image: www.lorikaplanjewelry.com] http://www.lorikaplanjewelry.com

Iā€™ve been using ā€œOrange Flake Shellacā€ for only 55years!
The correct procedure is to raise the temperature of the wood to ā€œvery hotā€. You are attempting to get some flakes to stick.
You must then and only then place the BURNING
wooden dowel into the bag of Shellac. YES, this is clumsy way of starting, but the Shellac will only stick if the wood is darned hot, not warm!!!.;(
Once you get some flakes to stick, youā€™re on your way of succeeding.
I wonā€™t use any other method, trusting my previous experiences with other materials!..:wink:

Gerry! On my Teaching iPhone!

2 Likes

The colour of the flakes turn a dark-brown once used! Your wood must not be ā€œwarmā€, warm does not melt Shellac! I use a mini-torch, or an alcohol lamp just to get the flakes sticking.
BTW, you can burn the Shellac if the temperature is too hot on the stick. Then this looks like bubbles!.;(
Has this been good to you?

1 Like

Lori, did you see Gerry Lewyā€™s responses? Heā€™s a master gemsetter.

1 Like

Another useful suggestion:
When you want to put your item onto the Shellac, your item ā€˜mustā€™ be warm. This temperature warms the Shellac to make a permanent bonding!

I am more confused. I have a flat piece of wood. You mean I need a dowel.
So I get the dowel burning and stuck it into the flakes. But my piece needs
to be flat. Is there a video of this out there anywhere??
Oish

Donā€™t be confused, I didnā€™t read the initial holding shape. Dowel or flat piece is not the problem, starting the ā€˜process is crucialā€™.

Okay, no worries here. Letā€™s just restart from the beginning.

1. You can use any type of mount youā€™d like for your shellac. Iā€™ve used dowels for small items, Iā€™ve used curved surfaces for domed items, but mostly, I use flat sections of old 2x4 for 90% of it. All that matters is that the surface is a moderately close match to the surface youā€™re working on. Make sense so far? Just donā€™t get hung up on it as itā€™s not all that terribly important.

2. Use a small metal bowl to contain the flakes and heat them up with a torch (just be careful not to burn them). Theyā€™ll start to melt and form little balls that you can mix together with some tweezers or nail or any metal stick (you can use a wood stick too, but the shellac will be likely to stick to it much more so than the metal)

3. One youā€™ve gotten a little blob of the melted flakes together, heat up the surface of the wood youā€™re planning on putting it on. It doesnā€™t have to be on fire, just nice and hot so the shellac melts a bit and sticks to the wood when it touches it.

4. Place your blob on the heated wood and, with the torch, now melt the rest of the blob onto/over the wood.

5. Once it is covering an adequate space for your piece, either keep it hot and runny or reheat it if it has cooled down and place your piece on it. You should now be able to ā€œnestleā€ it into the shellac a bit and once it cools, it will be nice and stuck for you.

1 Like

Thank you s much for that. I havenā€™t had a chance at the bench this
afternoon or evening but will try as soon as I can. Many thanks. Really
appreciate it.

We have lift off!!! Thank you everyone. Iā€™m in the process of setting my stones. I really appreciate all the help. What you didnā€™t tell me was, where to look for my bezel ā€“ which took the better part of an hour searching since I had put it in the freezer the other day!!! ugh!

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Iā€™m inquiring if any orchidians have cast in place colored garnets - specifically good quality, untreated orange spessarite garnet gems under 1.5 carat. Recently, I purchased a parcel of faceted lovelies from one of my dealers and have been eyeing them and sketching ideas. Iā€™m thinking about casting some in place. I also have of parcel of untreated orange sapphires. Iā€™m concerned about the obvious - fracturing and color shift. My thought is to do a test in investment and very slowly ramp the temperature to 800F (7+) hours with hold times.
Has anyone out there successfully or otherwise used orange gems to cast in place? Iā€™m thinking of sterling, 14 & /or 18kt yellow gold as casting metal.
In the past Iā€™ve cast other precious gems in place with a range of results from perfection to disaster. I was previously dependent on others for kiln access for casting (which i did myself). Since then, my studio had developed into a stand alone workspace & Iā€™ve added a nice kiln with an orton controller so i have autonomous control over ramp rates & temperatures. Part of the reason was frustration with circumstances & results i couldnā€™t control. Iā€™ve lowered my casting flask temperatures to around 800 and air cooled and had generally great results, but different gemā€¦ different universe to explore.
There was a thread from several years ago included below where Rick Martin of Martin_Design ('02) posted results of experiments on dark purple garnets in investment.
"ā€¦couple of years ago I decided to try heat-treating garnets to see if I could lighten their color. I insulated several dark purple cut stones in a container of casting investment. In a series of tests I raised the temperature (in slow incremental steps) to 800F. (nochange, no cracks after overnight cooling); then to 1,000F. (same result); and finally to 1,300F. After cooling, this test showedcracks in a couple of stones but most survived the heat just fine. "
Caveats and suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Eileen

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Three colours you can use;
Red=> Ruby
Blue=> Blue Sapphire
White=> Diamond or CZ
Any other colour, Iā€™d pass on them.
Think of the American flag colours, or anything lower on the Mohsā€™ Scale of 9 or an 8 Iā€™d steer away! Just my safe opinion!!
Iā€™m Gerry, On my iPhone!

Eileen,
My opinion is that there is so much
risk in casting gems in place, and learning to be
skillful at setting should be the goal, you
have to learn to set those gems you cannot
cannot cast in place.
My opinion is also that quality suffers with
cast in place.
There is not quality fine jewelry made
with cast in place gems.
Unless you are fabulous at wax work
and a wizard at finishing, I would think you
would not save time and end up with
something you are not going to be happy with.
I believe cast in place was developed for
low end, low quality jewelry, unless that
is your market.

2 Likes

Try Wolf Clay. It doesnā€™t swell, deform or burn. A fairly new product from Wolf Tools - WolfTools