Help with argon gas to orion arc welder

I purchaseda second hand welder from everlinx permanent jewlrey it looks to be the same as the amazon brand for ~500$ , I got the 100$ regulator from sunstone . I have it set up and practicing on somw jump rings. Seems to work ok. If anyone has had experience with this machine looking for any tips or tricks.

1 Like

Hi
I would venture to suggest the yse of proper eye protection for the operator, as well as anyone in the vicinity

julie

1 Like

I think you are overstating the danger. Letā€™s say your shop is without ventilation and is about 10 foot by 10 foot with 8 foot ceilings. That is 800 cubic feet of air. Argon tanks we usually use range from 40 -80 cubic foot capacity. Lets say the full 80 CF tank leaked before any air circulated in the room so it would be releasing very rapidly and you did not hear it. Your air would be diluted by 10%. (This ignores the density of argon causing it to sink to the floor.) The average oxygen concentration will be about 18.8%. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, OSHA, determined the optimal range of oxygen in the air for humans runs between 19.5 and 23.5 percent (normal O2 is 20.9%. You would be at a sub optimal level, but not immediate danger. With ventilation, a smaller tank, or a larger room you would be better off. A worse case scenario, where there is limited mixing of the air, where you are sitting in a low chair and the argon has settled to the bottom half of the room could be dangerous.

2 Likes

Hi,

What kind od settings do you have? Did the unit come with an instruction manual explaing arc welding and offer practice scenarios for the user, to walk thru the settings?

julie

you are correct sir!.. the partial pressure equivalent of 18% oxygen is equal to the partial pressure of 21% oxygen at an altitude of 4,000 feetā€¦ Oxygen partial pressures do not significantly decrease to the point of being potentially dangerous for unacclimated sea level living people, or someone with cardiopulmonary disease, until 10,000 feet altitude or higherā€¦ assuming that all of the argon sank to the floor with no mixing, a room that size would have argon gas filling it to a depth of ten percent of itā€™s height or 8/10ths of a footā€¦far lower than your head levelā€¦the danger is overstated, as argon 40 is 2.8 times as heavy as air. It will stay on the floor and leak out at floor level, again assuming thereā€™s no mixing at all. Carbon dioxide diffuses readily and less than half the molecular weight of argonā€¦itā€™s more of a danger.

2 Likes

See, thats what i wanted was the female. They gave me a male. Everything is tight, set up right and im getting nothing. At first i bought a regulator like the one on pepe, but when they had no quick connect, they found a male and gave me the Flame Tech Argon Flow Meter Clamshelled which runs for 160, but all is hooked up right, no leaks, opened my valve and flow regulator and it spurted then nothing. Empty tank maybe, bad regulator?

You guys rock. I feel much better about it. I was fine till the guy at Airgas acted crazy lol

if you bought your stuff at airgas, they are responsible for making it workā€¦take it back and have them fix itā€¦ did you ever get your problem resolved? if so, let us know what the problem was. Iā€™m interested to find out what happened and Iā€™m sure that others are too. Sunstone is the actual manufacturer.
I havenā€™t used any high tech equipment for jewelry makingā€¦just a propane torch and an oxyacetylene torch. I have a light duty MIG welder than runs argon for light welding of steel. a Miller, bought from Linweld locally (Linde) years agoā€¦ have never had problems with the regulator and gas flow controlā€¦ Your problem should not have gotten so complicatedā€¦ good luck in getting to to work.

1 Like

So, i took it to airgas and he opened it and it flowed out fine. Took it home, hooked it up and it was fine. Turns out that it wasnt moving because my arc welder wasnt on and in use. After i used it it started working. What i dont understand is how am i going to set the outside to 8 to 10psi if it only works when im inside using it?

Hi,

what model welder do you have?
on your navigation bar, do you have a ā€œgasā€ setting?
is there a ā€œpurgeā€ button?

some times i adjust the regulator pressure, and ā€œgasā€ setting on screen reads, say, 11psi, after i hit purge, the psi drops to the new pressure, say, 8psi

i hope i am making senseā€¦

you could call orion tech supportā€¦they aren awesomeā€¦there is a applications (how to) person, and a hardware tech personā€¦

julie

If you put in a T with a valve on it, or remove the hose temporarily, you can open it and adjust without starting the welder.

Hi, I mentioned this earlier in this thread. A while back I taught an Orion sponsored welding workshop at a jewelry school that had just bought a new Orion 150s. They bought the Flame Tech argon regulator or similar (that you show a picture of) to try & save some money. No matter what we tried we couldnā€™t get that regulator to work with their new Orion welder. Fortunately, I got there a little early and we had enough time to overnight an argon regulator from Orion before the class started. That regulator worked great.

Iā€™m very curious to hear if you can make this regulator work with your welder? As itā€™s been explained to me, a normal arc welding argon regulator wonā€™t work. You need a special low-flow argon regulator for these precision welders.

You should feel free to reach out to Orion tech support. Theyā€™re awesome and will give you the answers that you need to get your welder going. This shouldnā€™t be such a complicated issue.

Keep us posted!

Jeff

Mine is an orion arc welder. Very simple, no purge etc

I knew it! I kept telling the guy i thought i needed theirā€™s. Man i hope they will give me my money back.

Ok @jeffg-moderator ive discovered that yes, it works with the regulator BUT in order to set my psi, someone has to be at the tank because the flow doesnt show until i use the machine. When im alone im sidestepping that by leaving the brass flow knob where it is and opening and closing at the tank. Im not sure if eventually that will be an issue.

That sucks! I definitely hope you can return it!

One thing to remember though is that the Orion system will work without argon. It wonā€™t weld as nicely and there will be soot on the welds, but it will still weld. (The PUK welder wonā€™t let you weld without argon.)

I say all that because you can still play with your new welder, while you get the argon regulator sorted out! At the school I teach at and if I donā€™t catch it, sometimes students weld all day with our Orion welder without the argon turned on and without any complaints. Itā€™s not going to hurt your Orion welder to not have argon turned on.

Again, it wonā€™t weld as nicely, but it will weld, so you can play and practice with it.

Jeff

1 Like

I must be doing something wrong, because i cant get mine to do squat. Lol

Many/most of these welders have an solenoid that opens and closes the gas flow depending on if it is operated or not.
The moment you press start it opens.
So to set your flow/pressure you have 3 options.
1 disconnect the hose outside and adjust the flow.while it flows free.
2 lock it in weld position inside so it is energized and in on position and then go out and adjust it.
3 have someone help you either inside or outside.

1 Like

Maybe thereā€™s something about the mPulse that I donā€™t know about? I know that the 150s and 200i work without argon.

You should be reaching out to Orion tech support. Theyā€™ll help you figure this out and get your welder working for you. At this point, I think itā€™s worth considering that you might have a defective welder and Orion tech support is the place to go to determine if thatā€™s the case.

Either way, contact Orion and tell them whatā€™s up. Theyā€™ll help you.

Jeff

2 Likes

I finally made an earring yesterday but the weld isnt strong. Time for tech support.