Faceting diagrams for 18th century and earlier gems

I have a friend who is posting on Facebook looking for diagrams for very early faceted gems.
She was looking for diagrams that match stones from the Cheapside Hoard, But I am not hopeful that anyone might have done the math to match these at this point.

I was hoping as this forum has thousand of experts from from all over the world, that someone might have come across some references or documentation that could help her. even if it is a reference that might help her design her own faceting diagrams. I can only pass on information as faceting is not in my wheelhouse due to the complex math needed.

Basically anything pre-industrial era would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

1 Like

Contact Jack Ogden, author of the authoritative book on the subject, Diamonds: An Early History of the King of Gems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BZP777G/. Also see the Jewellery History Facebook – note the English spelling of what we Yanks know as jewelry :wink:

3 Likes

Jack Ogden runs a facebook group called Jewellery History. You could contact him there.

2 Likes

GIA has a Zoom lecture this coming Thursday (sept 24th) at 10 am PST on the subject of the history of diamond cutting and polishing. The professor is Dr. Evan Smith. Not sure if non-GIA alum can access it but it’s worth a try. I hope this helps.

1 Like