Etching brass plates to use in rolling mill

I’ve used work hardened electro etched brass plates run through a rolling mill to pattern very well annealed sterling silver.

The brass plates are generally good for between 10 and 20 passes through a rolling mill before the pattern becomes too degraded to be useful.

Your mileage may vary of course! It actually depends on how closely you want the pattern in the silver to be the original. To use an analogy, the rolled result progresses from being a mirrored clone of your original, to a twin sibling, to just a sibling, to a close relative, to someone who might be related, to someone who is related if you are really intoxicated…

2 Likes

Rob,.

I have rolled a few patterns into sterling using etched brass plates. You get a few to several good impressions before the brass degrades to unusable. The plate has to be very well annealed, and as thick or thicker than the brass. . the rollers have to be parallel or the impression she’s off. The best impressions I have had were with piece of cereal box between the roller and the plate. The card board compresses and keeps the skewing to a minimum.

The compression pressure takes some practice to get right.

D

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROIDOn Apr 27, 2017 3:29 PM, Robert Meixner <orchid@ganoksin.com> wrote:

rmeixner

April 27

It seems to me that brass will get deformed fairly quickly. I have never done this, so I look forward to answers from others who have.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.