Drilling silver

Have you made a divot in the metal first before you start to drill? Also I go up and down with my drill and not try to just tunnel through the metal it gives it a chance to clear out any burs or pieces of metal that may get in the way.

2 Likes

I finally bought a drill press. It has a variable speed - youre at the correct angle - put a bit of lubricant on the metal - wood underneath. I also buy self centering drill bits - of different sizes. The bits broke when I used a flexible shaft - but drill press gives you more control.

5 Likes
  1. I have been using Busch dental drills on gold and silver with wax or Burr Life as lubricant for over 40 years. They last forever and take ages to get dull.
  2. Start hole with center punch.
  3. An incorrectly sharpened drill will dull quickly.

Janet in Jerusalem

2 Likes

More recently I’ve been supplying from McMaster Carr …they’ve also got SS spring wire for broach pins…nice!

1 Like

Nice to have the 3/32” bits for your quick change handpiece but “jam it” one time and you’ll be replacing the shaft on your Foredom.

1 Like

Rarely have this problem. Are you buying dead soft material?
How old are your bits?
Much more commonly I experience drill bit fracture. Anything smaller than 1 mm is all but impossible to sharpen.
Slow speed is the key.
All the bits I have bought have been sharp; they have cut nicely.
If you have ever used the bits on steel they are likely dull.
Never had any success sharpening with a stone, only a very fine diamond disc and magnification.
Titanium tipping is useless in my experience: hardened tool steel is much better.

2 Likes

use wax on the drill bit. Will help smoothen the process.

2 Likes