Drawing down half round wire- start with square? or round?

Hi, it makes me think extruded…pasta tubes🤣…like drawn thru something with teeth…kinda irregularly regular…

julie

2 Likes

Thats what im thinking! Time to experiment lol

Re: the texture in @leenheyne jewelry.

I’ve found a couple of holes on my square draw plate have imperfections that create a surface I like that is similar to this texture. See jumprings of 2mm wire 18k below. So I’m thinking they alter the drawplate with a burr or file to create uneven edges for this effect.

1 Like

But how does he make the wire taper with the texture??? Mind boggling

Wouldn’t you just have to alter the last hole, maybe the last couple?..Rob

The difference between the smallest point of the wire, and the largest diameter of the wire seems pretty large to maintain the exact grooves. I also think that he is on record as saying that he uses sanding to create the texture.

Yes I believe he said so, somewhere.

Looking back over his posts on instagram, I’m not convinced the diameter changes on those pieces. Frequently he seems to use a rectangle and pivot which profile is “up” or “side” to vary thickness. Can someone link one where the diameter is definitely changing?

For example, I don’t think this wire varies over the entire form, just twisting a rectangular form and camera angle hides the widening of out of a consistent wire.

First ring:
Leen Heyne Ring

Second similar ring with different angle:
Ring two

1 Like

Very interesting! That would make it a lot more understandable. Still impressive and well executed of course but I thought he hawks applied those textures to a changing diameter and I was flummoxed.

Good eye!

1 Like

I use old fashioned paraffin. It is made of petroleumIt. It’s much more slippery than bees’ wax and much less messy than oils or the supper messy blue colored burr life. Also it will not clog burrs. One box of Gulf Wax will last a life time. I use it on my saw blades, burrs and drills as well. One box of Gulf wax costs between 4- 6 dollars and will be enough for several life times of bench work.
-Jo

4 Likes

Do you use this for all of your other lubrication like piercing work and burrs as well?

Jo, since I asked about it, I did try using extreme pressure grease. I drew 6mm tubing made from 16 ga. Argentium sheet through an 8-pointed star drawplate. That’s the toughest draw I’ve done to date.

Messy? Oh, yeah. Very sticky lube. On the other hand it stuck to the full length of the tubing like tar, did not crumble off.

Here’s the results I got:

You can see that the points are not fully formed. Very close, but not quite. The tang, or whatever you call what gets gripped by the draw tongs snapped off three times in a row.

It was a pain to cut down the tubing so an end would fit through the drawplate, and I was not up for a 4th attempt. Sixty percent of that diameter tubing, and 16 ga., ought to have been strong enough to not snap off cleanly, I think. On the other hand, it was taking a huge effort to compress that into the points as far as it did.

Trying the extreme pressure grease wasn’t a scientific experiment since I didn’t also test it against something else. The next time, I’ll try paraffin.

Neil A

2 Likes

Hi Jo you mention using paraffin as a lubricant. Is the Gulf wax paraffin?
Cheers Willie

Yes it is.