Do all vacuum pumps use the same oil?

I think I mentioned this before? Pure vacuum is 30 and that’s impossible to achieve. 29-something is the best that you can get on this tool. You can Google why pure vacuum is impossible to achieve if you want to know the science behind that. There’s also folks way smarter than I am on the forum who can explain it.

Yes, best practice is to release the vacuum pressure before turning the vacuum motor off. Glad you caught that.

Unless, I’m missing something, I think it’s time to do a practice casting. What do you think? Are you ready?

Jeff

1 Like

Yeah the gauge has 30 on it I mean and I get to 28/29 when I use the bell housing side. This old machine is awesome. Neil from the forum just made a good point. I can get rid of the glass jar (which I now think the old timer made up) and make a galvanized steel pipe chamber.

As soon as I have the casting side of machine figured out (I want to do a galvanized steel pipe chamber to catch blown out investment) I will definitely be casting with it because Christmas and the wifes birthday is coming up. I can throw away my crappy centrifugal casting machine.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

1 Like

So here’s my final update and thank you everyone. I fixed the casting side of the machine and now have full vacuum for both sides. I made a metal small metal chamber as a “catch” and got rid of the glass. Thanks to Neil’s suggestions. But having said that, I now believe the glass jar may have been original to the W and W machine from 30 or 35 years ago because the glass jar says “180 CC’s” like it’s either lab grade or industrial or at least foreign like where the machine was made. (Taiwain).

Maybe I can find out who bought the only other machine like these I’ve seen on the internet (it was in Australia) and ask them if they have the glass jar in it. LOL).

1 Like

Are you in Florida?? At sea level, you ought to be pulling darn near 30 inches of mercury. That is,
On a properly running machine.
I was getting 24 inches at 5000’ in colorado
Drain it, flush it, refill with fresh oil.
Your oil looks nasty.

Jim