Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Different types of casting

Hi, I am looking for different ways to create organic shapes. I have heard of water casting but I am yet to try it. Has anyone tried this type of technique but maybe pouring molten wax into the water instead, what type of shape does this achieve? If so how did this turn out? Is there any other processes? maybe pouring the metal into different materials etc. Looking forward to hearing some responses :slight_smile:

Hi, I did a little bit of water casting with wax many years ago (during a candle making phase). I got some interesting shapes, but a lot of stringy bits. I’ve not tried water casting with silver yet, but intend to at some point.
Tania

Regarding water casting, for more ideas and techniques, try the internet. I went to the Utube site OnlineJewelryAcadamy.com for demos showing water, pasta and chickpea. I’m sure there are more sites to watch. Love Utube!
Noralie

1 Like

Water casting with silver scrap is a blast! Get the video by Kim StJean. Customers love my water, broom & salt cast pendants!’
Jan

1 Like

Thank you. I shall enjoy that.

Tania

I experimented several years ago with pouring hot wax into water. I heated a pan of wax and experimented with temperatures (just needs to melt but not bubbly). Then I used various utensils to take wax from the pan to the water. I found that the major factor is the type of wax used. Not all waxes will work. I am presently communicating with a major wax distributor in an effort to identify the green wax as I bought it many years ago from a shop that didn’t know what it was and had lost the lid so there were no markings. I will let you know if this wax is still being made when the company gets back to me. Their main expert is out for the next week. In the meantime, the purple wax will work. You can buy if from Rio Grande item #700555…Matt Purple Wax Block. Many waxes just go flat or get stringy when they are dropped into the water. You cannot purposefully design with the wax but the abstract is what appealed to me when I was doing it. Have Fun!

1 Like