Diamond pricing question

Wow!
You are so close! This makes me wonder how many friends I have here, I passed in their stores not knowing who they were. This makes me wish that we had some way of showing (if we want) where we live. It would be nice to get together sometimes with other members of Ganoksin.
Now that we have a fancier system and website, I wounder if a map could be added?

1 Like

@Gerald_Livings1 and @mpandfamilyā€¦ map is easy to do, as is a ā€œmember directoryā€ The reason I did not pursue it was simply for privacy. Many, many Orchidians do not want to get into detail about where work is actually done, for privacy and security reasons.

That being said, I think a cool map that anonymizes everything (basically a map with dots) could be really cool and would showcase how diverse we are geographically! I have to think about if we have location information in the database for enough members to make this viable. Good idea, will talk to @leah-ganoksin-admin about this!

2 Likes

I canā€™t see there being an issue with privacy if the map was based on cities. There wouldnā€™t really be any need for anything more precise than that anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for giving them my name.

National Diamond Syndicate, a trustworthy family-owned diamond dealer in Chicago offers diamonds well below the Rappaport price to professional jewelers. Iā€™ve never had a problem beating Blue Nileā€™s price working with them, although I donā€™t necessarily believe that the same customer who shops on Blue Nile (or for that matter, Costco) for a diamond ring would necessarily think about approaching an independent artist for their bridal jewelry. Some consumers highest value is cheapness, and they are not desirable customers. Even so, at a great price all NDS diamonds are ethically sourced, Kimberly certified, and many come with GIA or other certs if that is meaningful to your customers. But again, if they donā€™t care about social or environmental sustainability, even beating the online price might not be enough to bring them back from the dark side.

I appreciate the suggestion. Itā€™s taken me a bit as Iā€™ve been distracted by a number of other items lately, but I finally contacted NDS and set up an account. Unfortunately, from what I can see on paper, their pricing isnā€™t any better than BN (looking at .90ct rounds) and BN allows me to actually view the stone without having to deal with shipping things back and forth just to see it as well as providing free FedEx shipping. Even if places like NDS were $100 or so under BN, the cost of shipping and lack of images completely negates any possible savings. Maybe itā€™s different for nicer, larger stones, but from what I can see, diamonds just arenā€™t worth my time at this point. Nonetheless, I very much appreciate the suggestion(s).

*Note: This is all for VS1/ G-H color /Good+ cut stuff. It seems that once you hit that level, you either have to be an aficionado or do direct side-by-side comparisons to see the difference. For the average Joe, they all look pretty darn good so going with the cheapest option usually makes the most sense.