Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

"Curbing" an elongated oval chain link

Hello all! Long time browser, first time member/poster :slight_smile:
I’ve finally committed to a membership because I have been well and truly stumped on the bench and would love some advice.

I’ve got some elongated oval links that I’d like to turn into a curb link chain (curbed so it sits flat when worn). I’ve seen chain like this pre-fabricated (probably by machine) but when I try traditional techniques for round or tight oval links (bending each link at 45deg or twisting the entirely assembled chain) I find that they don’t respond with the bends in the right spot.

I’ve been making brass versions over and over trying to figure it out but I can’t get it.
This is the effect I’m trying to re-create but my links are much bigger (around 2cm x 1cm). You can see in that example that there’s only a tiny bend at the end of each link. But I can’t figure out how to make it??? I feel like it should be so simple… what am I missing?!

You don’t say how you are trying to make this chain. I would try running it though a rolling mill, but I would practice with copper links first. Keep the string held tight on the input side. Good luck and please post your results…Rob

1 Like

There are many types of machine made chain which are to difficult to make by hand that it’s not worth the effort. For instance, how would you even begin to make a snake chain by hand? To make the chain you’re describing by hand, and have any uniformity to the links, you’ll likely need to construct a special jig for bending them.
However, have you tried simply pressing an assembled chain between two boards? This might put enough of a regular twist into them that the chain could then be passed through the rolling mill to get the small flats on the end. Just an idea.

1 Like

Hi there, Thank you for your response.
The links I am using are actually lightweight, decorative, hand-carved and cast - a feature element in a necklace. Your suggestion is almost what I ended up doing. I got them fairly ‘close’ and then placed them on my steel block and hammered them gently with my rubber mallet. This was just the right amount of pressure needed to flatten the chain out into the ‘curb’ form. I’ve just got to solder the rest of the chain onto the necklace and I will post the result when I am done :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately I don’t have a rolling mill in my studio but I was able to figure it out in the end. I will post pictures when the rest of the necklace is completed!