Cross Stitch, Brooch - Differences Unite Us

Materials: Copper, sterling silver, fine silver, mokume gane, 22k gold, 18k gold, mica, powder enamel with resin on plastic, felt, Stainless steel needles, brown diamonds
Dimensions: 12" x 8" x 1 1/2"

This work relates to the theme, “Differences Unite Us” because mothers, the sacrifice of mothers and the loss of our mothers is universal, no matter where we are from, or whatever our background - men and women, old and young, no matter our race, religion or socio-economic class. Loss is also a universal theme that unites people from across cultures and helps us to understand that no matter how different we may be, we are all part of one human family.

Photo credit: Elizabeth Lemark

Juan Carlos Caballero-Perez
Henrietta, New York. USA

This series of work is a reflection of who I am and my experiences growing up: my mother, my culture and country. It revolves around themes of strength, fragility, life and death. The Urn and Jewelry Series celebrates the life and honors the death of my mother; all mothers who sacrifice for their families. It is a tribute to a lifetime of seamstress work done by so many, for so little, for so long. It is symbolic of how we sew together the experiences of our lives to create ourselves - who we are and who we’ll become. It pays tribute to the circle of life. We live, we die, we leave behind a legacy through our deeds, memories and work.

Ganoksin hosts the jewelry list Orchid, with over 13,000 list members from all over the world, speaking from a wide range of technical and aesthetic experiences. The exhibition theme grew out of a desire to celebrate the creativity encompassed in this wide variety.

Artists were free to interpret the theme in any way they chose. Each artist could submit up to six pieces. Interpretations include uniting different materials into one cohesive form; intellectual and emotional “unitings”, where the meaning of the piece unites multiple concepts; the uniting of time - past, present and future; and a number that focus on the harmony created when uniting multiple materials and/or concepts.

The work submitted involved a wide range of jewelry techniques, from very traditional to very cutting edge, as well as using materials from traditional precious metals and gemstones to “re-purposed” and “up-cycled” materials.

The exhibition showcases 330 images chosen from entries from over 111 artists representing 26 countries.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Serbia, Spain, Trinidad, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands

Many of the participants began their interest in jewelry at a young age. Some are relative newcomers to the field, and some have over 35 years of experience as professional jewelers and goldsmiths. While some grew up in families that were goldsmiths, and followed in those footsteps, others only began creating jewelry as adults.