Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Community discussions

sorry to say that due to three neck surgeries and growing old, I can’t do bench work anymore… I learned the basics in a high school class and thereafter made pieces, mostly rings, trying to do mixed metals (brass, copper on silver- very very tough to control) with an art nouveau touch, only with the most basic equipment. So what I can contribute is only past experience gleaned the hard way…I also have a rolling mill and made my own gold and silver wires and sheet, from ingot pours and made my own solders by varying the zinc and copper content from using brass…people should know that there is a eutectic point of 60% silver and 40% copper, that melts at the lowest temperature than either more copper or more silver. but you cannot make a eutectic mix of solder and have to stay with higher silver content because the eutectic composition is too dark and tarnishes the fastest. The melting temperature versus the relative amounts of silver and copper is published and can be found on line…
thank you for you kind consideration, Steve H.

3 Likes

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing that tidbit of wisdom! Feel free to share anytime.

Some times i will be an armchair jeweler…there are alot of great jewelers on youtube that have interesting “channels”…many excellent teachers…i like to watch and learn new techniques…or a new way of doing something…and seeing new tools…sometimes i watch 3D CAD modeling videos and silently call out the command i think should/ will be used next…

if you like tools and machinery, check out Kevin Potter on youtube! i want to be him!

i love watching stone setting videos…i just search “stone setting” and see what pops up!

or i search a technique…like engraving, repousse, enameling…etc…

sometimes i will search for high jewelry makers, like Van Cleef and Arpel, etc…they often have historical type videos…

and then there are the boutique watchmakers! i firget the term used…so intricate…amazing to hear their stories…

many rabbit holes to dive into! very stimulating!

julie

1 Like