Ching Chih - Jewelry Gallery

Wu Ching Chih
Taoyuan, Taiwan

wuchingchih.com

I graduated with BFA and MFA from Department of crafts and Design at National Taiwan University of Arts. Being a residence artist in Sculpture studio at Anderson Ranch Art Center in 2013. Working in the field of metalwork, sculpture and enamel jewelry design, I am good at plique-a-jour enameling, chasing , ropousse, and patina, or oxidizing staining.
I gradually turned away from demonstrating skills to questing for creative content and transcendental meanings. My signature is establishing though combing enamel to break through the restrictions from metalworking techniques and concepts.

I use the technique plique-a-jour to present an exotic scene of a leaf standing on a finger tip, as if a creature standing on the tip of our figure.

Materials: copper,enamel Dimensions: 15x20x6 cm

Most of my works are inspirited by the plants and insects from Taiwan, through these organic forms, creatures by using various technique of enamel, I would love to evoke the emotions of human. Aiming to combine the transparency of enamel with a unique and complex metal structure.

Photo credit: Wu,ching-chih

1 Like

leaf

Materials: copper, enamel
Dimensions: 3.5x7x3 cm

Most of my works are inspirited by the plants and insects from Taiwan, through these organic forms, creatures by using various technique of enamel, I would love to evoke the emotions of human. Aiming to combine the transparency of enamel with a unique and complex metal structure.

Photo credit: wu,ching-chih

Leaf

Materials: copper,enamel
Dimensions: 12x12x6 cm

Photo credit: Wu, ching-chih

1 Like

Weightless

Materials: fine silver,enamel
Dimensions: 3.5x5x7 cm(each)

The city that I am living is hot and sultry during summer. When I was little, my family and I loved to go to the river to enjoy the wind. I could be surrounded by nature, possible to get in touch with different insects. They are always hovering around or flying on the rocks in the riverside, sometimes, they rest on the rock and this picture did really impress me. According to my memory of this little insects, I choose to present my work with a light form and refreshing colour, which create a strong contrast to the muggy summer. I had used the skill of plique-a-jour to fill the enamel to present the insert’s wings, through the shinning surface of sliver that can really show the feel of weightless. In design aspect, I simplify the form of insert, make them not only look alike a tiny sculpture but also is a wearable accessory. When it put on the ear, this little insert is sitting on our body and naturally come together with human.

1 Like

Until the bottom

Materials: copper, enamel
Dimensions: 13x13x8 cm

The piece is designed into forms of wings; the continuous replication makes connection to the jewelry concept, which is referred as “chain”. By combing the unit pieces with one direction, I create a long shaped creature. The process of uniting the pieces together creates vertebrae-like skeleton, the long creature will be place on the human body, growing extensively from the neck, back, waist, to the coccyx.

1 Like

Pieces of butterfly

Materials: copper, enamel, acrylic, glass bottle
Dimensions: 30x15x15 cm

Many things have two sides. Things are not always as the way we see. By the use of the concept of “Cabinet Collection” of the middle century, the specimen of plants, animals, and insects were incorporated into the work. They could be placed in different spaces and could exist independently. Butterfly is the embodiment of creature. I deconstructed them, and used different textures of materials to reconstruct them into a whole piece.