Charlene Cross - Jewelry Gallery

After enjoying a career in exhibit development and design, both for a science museum as well as the tradeshow industry, I discovered the world of jewelry design and creation.

The tactile nature of working with metal is so pleasing, in particular after working for so many years at a computer. I love the plastic nature of metals and the designs that are possible as a result.

I am constantly exploring and experimenting to design new and exciting pieces.

wide sterling silver cuff bracelet textured and notched with narrow sterling band hammered and riveted along with a copper band that has been textured and also riveted to the wide cuff

1 Like

Crozet, VA. USA
charlenecross.com

The design and creation of the work I do is an intimate, dynamic process. Whether beginning with a preconceived design or testing out new ideas, I recognize when a piece starts to define itself and to work with that energy.
While I love working with metal, the luminosity of transparent glass fascinated me when I discovered vitreous enamel. My choice of using enamels provides the platform for much experimentation, which for me, keeps the creative process fresh and exciting.
Most of my work is in the cloisonne genre, a highly labor intensive process. However, after completing several cloisonne pieces, I find freedom and vigor in hammering and forming metal. The experience of fold forming allows for the creation of more sculptural metalwork. The combination of cloisonn? and sculptural metalwork is a new direction I am currently exploring.
I find nature provides the perfect subject matter for creating with shimmering, transparent enamels. From the obviously beautiful to the unsettling, there is noe end to the opportunities for interpreting nature's creations with metal and enamels.
The metal work that is part of the pieces I make is as important as the enamel work, I believe. I'm continually learning and experimenting with new metal techniques. Together the two support and enrich the viewers experience.

Materials: vitreous enamel on cooper Dimensions: 10"x5.5"

Hammered and formed copper with enameled crushed glass beads mounted on etched and repoussed enamel.

Photo credit: Scott Smith

Geisha

Materials: vitreous enamel on fine silver and sterling
Dimensions: 2.2"

Enameled silver with hand painted face - piece is accented with pink pearl

Detail Bat covered in pollen

Materials: vitreous enamel on cooper
Dimensions: 10"x5.5"

Hammered and formed copper with enameled crushed glass beads mounted on etched and repoussed enamel.

Koi

Materials: 24k gold cloisonne wire and foil, transparent enamel, pearl
Dimensions: 1.5"x2"

24k gold cloisonne wire creates koi shape filled with transparent enamels and accented with pearl

Bat Pollinating Cactud

Materials: copper, vitreous enamel

Vitreous enamel sifted on hammer formed copper sheet

Detail Bat Pollinating Cactus

Materials: copper, vitreous enamel

Vitreous enamel sifted on hammer formed copper sheet